Chapter 15

Akash looked at his daughter. Her eyes were partially open. She smiled and whispered, ‘Dad, I saw mom in my dreams last night.’

Akash’s throat was choked with emotion. He smiled and nodded, urging her to continue.

‘She said I’ll be fine soon.’

‘Yes, honey, you will be. You will be... Dad will do what it takes to make you all right.’

Rohit stood by Sara’s bed. Akash sat on its edge, his hand caressing Sara’s cheek. Sara closed her eyes.

Once they were back outside, Rohit said, ‘They gave her the platelets from the blood you donated. The vascular bleeding has stopped. I can’t say she is out of danger, but the signs are good.’

Akash thanked his friend. ‘I don’t know what I would have done without you, Rohit. Thanks a lot.’

‘Come on, what are friends for?’
They were quiet for some time.
‘By the way, Akash, a woman named Subah called. She said she was your client.’

‘Yes, I know her. What did she say?’

‘She was worried about Sara. Said she had met her too.’

‘That’s nice of her. But she is one hell of a crazy woman.’

‘Crazy? She didn’t sound crazy on the phone.’

Akash shared his experiences with Rohit, first the incident at her exhibition and then his meeting with her at Khan Market. Fortunately, he hadn’t had to meet her again, the ads on social media having been created, discussed and finalized over email.

At that moment, they turned their heads to look at a woman who came over and stopped near them.

Akash was the first to get up, recognizing Subah. He extended his hand, opened his mouth to say something and then stopped, remembering their previous meetings. He pulled his hand back.

‘I’m sorry, Akash. How’s Sara?’

‘She’s recovering. This here is my friend...I’m not sure if I should give his name—you might say that you didn’t ask. He’s a doctor.’

‘Don’t make me feel so guilty, Akash.’ She turned towards Rohit, extended her hand and shook his lightly. ‘My name is Subah. I think I spoke to you over the phone an hour ago.’
‘Yes, you did. My name is Rohit. I’m a doctor, as he said.’

They talked for a few minutes, mostly with Rohit explaining all the medical terms while Akash avoided looking at her. He was very uncomfortable. The crazy woman who had treated him so shabbily was seated next to him and talking to his best friend about his daughter. And yet, just like the last time, he couldn’t help noticing how beautiful she was.

He looked away, distracting himself from the moment.
‘Akash, Akash…where did you go?’ Rohit asked.

‘Sorry, I was thinking...well, it doesn’t matter. Could I get you a cup of coffee or something?’
‘Right, how silly of me. You sit here, Akash, and let me fetch the coffee. Any preferences, Subah? Sugar, milk, flavouring...?’

‘Thank you. A simple cappuccino will do for me.’

Subah had not bargained for this. For the first time, she realized she was attracted to Akash. It was so absurd. She was attracted to him like a woman is to a man. She needed to get away. Now.

But before she could act, Rohit was gone, and now she was stuck outside a special care ward with a person she wasn’t sure she disliked.

Where was Akash’s wife? Perhaps at work. After all, as a mother, she must have stayed at the hospital during the night. That is what women did—worked around the clock, took care of the children, cleaned the house and gave their bodies to men at night, even if they were tired. A woman’s life was all about pleasing men. With that thought, she got back her hate for the entire male tribe, Akash included, and felt in better control of her emotions.