Chapter 9

Akash was seated in a café with his best friend, Rohit. The two had gone to school together, and though Rohit had gotten into medical school later and moved to Jaipur, while Akash had studied English Honours at Hindu College, they’d met regularly during vacations when Rohit came to stay with his parents at their Defence Colony house.

‘I’m sorry to hear about your job, Akash.’

Akash put his cup of coffee down and said, ‘You know, Rohit, I don’t blame Mr Raichand. He needs someone who can keep his mind on work, unlike me, who’s always thinking about home, and Sara’s meals, and her homework.’

A plate of sandwiches waited on the table for them to eat, but neither seemed interested.
‘It’s good to know that your mother is back. That will allow you to take care of yourself. Look at you, Akash, you need to curb your drinking.’

‘What? Who said anything about drinking?’

‘I’m a doctor, remember?’

‘No, I mean, yes, of course you are a doctor, but my drinking is under control.’

‘I am the doctor, and that is precisely why I’m telling you this. I can see the signs.’

‘Like what?’ He straightened his back.

‘I know from your eyes, your skin, your handshake, your walk, your posture, your…everything! And I’m your friend—don’t forget that.’

‘You are my best friend, Rohit. I promise to be more careful.’

‘Great. So how’s your mother doing?’

‘Mom’s good. Her trips to Haridwar usually energize her and distract her from thoughts of Dad. But it’s temporary—she’ll be moody and sullen in a few weeks again. At present, Sara is giving her a rough time.’

‘That reminds me—why don’t you take a trip to Haridwar too? I mean, I know you aren’t much of a believer, but the change in scenery might help, don’t you think?’

‘Come on, you think I’m old enough to go to Haridwar to find peace?’

‘No, I didn’t mean take a trip like the old do. Just a holiday at a good resort, booze, of course, and lots of rest. Let’s do it together. Sara can stay here with her grandmother. Let’s do it this weekend.’ Rohit laughed, pushing up the sleeves of the sweater he was wearing. The excitement in his voice matched his actions.

‘It’s a good idea, but, sorry, maybe some other time. What I now need is to occupy myself. I have no idea what to do with myself every day.’

‘Hmm... Let me think and see if I can help you with that.’

They finished their coffee and asked the waiter to take the sandwiches away. Outside, night had fallen, and soon Rohit would have to leave for the 7 o’clock shift at his clinic. But he wanted to stay a little longer with his best friend. He called the clinic, which was just a five-minute drive from where they sat, and asked his assistant to inform him the minute someone walked in. That allowed him to stay longer, trying to brainstorm what his best friend could do now that he didn’t have a regular job.

What was Akash best at? He had always been the creative kind, fond of books, ideas, poetry, etc. And his interests fit well with his job as a creative director in an ad agency. Maybe he could do something along those lines. His face brightened up as an idea began to take shape in his mind. ‘Tomorrow is my day off, Akash. Let’s have lunch together at Odeon Social in CP.’

‘Sure.’

‘One of my friends, James, he is an…err...a tech specialist...he’ll join us too.’

‘Great.’

They parted after a hug.