chapter seven:

I care

The drive back to my place was quite. Eddie hadn't said anything during the drive and I couldn't get myself to say anything. I was ashamed of the way I behaved. I couldn't just keep my emotions intact for just a few more hours. Eddie didn't deserve to have to leave the party for my sake. It was dumb of me and I completely ruined our night together. We were both having so much fun until that girl had to go and ruin it. I looked out the window of his Jeep and sighed. If I was him I probably wouldn't be talking to me either or anymore for that matter.

We pulled up beside my building and got out. Eddie coming up behind me as I unlocked my front door. We both walked in as Henry jumped off the kitchen table, waddling over to greet us. Eddie leaned down to pet Henry but I beelined for the kitchen. I opened up the fridge and pulled out an already opened wine bottle. Popping the cork off and taking a drink. Before I even had it finished I felt the bottle being tugged away from my lips.

"Don't do this right now Nat, come on." Eddie placed the bottle down on the kitchen counter and took my hand. He walked us to the living room and had us both sit on the couch.

"Are you gonna tell me what happened back there?" He asked.

I closed my eyes and shook my head. Why was this amazing man even here anymore? Didn't he know I blew it? I was a complete mess and loser to his friends. Crying at Chris's house party, God I was so fucked.

Eddie sighed and ran a hand over his head. Knocking his hat off and letting his hair drop past his shoulders. "Well if you're not gonna talk to me now. I guess I'm just gonna have to crash at your place until you do." He propped his foot up on my coffee table and relaxed into the couch.

I looked down to the floor and nervously started playing with my fingers. I took a deep breath and whispered.

"Why are you here?"

"What was that? You need to speak a little louder?"

"I said,'' Why are you here?"

I looked up and saw him staring down my hallway. Looking lost in thought until a smile formed at the ends of his lips.

"Isn't it obvious?" He mumbled. "I'm here because I care. I cared the minute I heard you screaming for help. I cared for you days after that as well. Coming in and out of my mind, constantly. You captivated me Natalie and seeing you through the coffee shop window wasn't just coincidence." He closed his eyes for a second and chuckled to himself. "Call me cheesy but I honestly felt my soul being pulled there and when I saw you. I just knew I had to have you." He finally looked over at me and placed his hand over my cheek. Softly brushing his thumb over my skin.

"Your very special to me Nat. I don't want to lose you if I don't have to." His eyes held such passion and pain. He looked at me as if I was the only person keeping him together, as if I was his world.

"Oh Eddie," I let out a soft sob and crawled onto his lap. Curling into him as he wrapped his arms around me. "I'm so sorry. I was so afraid that once you took me home I would never see you again. I mean I acted like such a loser, crying in front of your friends no less." I sniffled, wiping the corner of my eyes as I laughed. "I was having such an amazing night too. If only that girl hadn't stopped me in the bathroom."

The minute I said that I felt Eddie's body stiffen as he pulled me off of him so he could look at me.

"What do you mean girl? Who was she?" He growled as his eyes narrowed.

"I don't know? She never gave me her name but she was the one that kept watching us throughout the night. She stopped me in the bathroom and told me... she just told me to enjoy my time with you." I whispered the last part as I shrugged my shoulder. "That it wasn't gonna last, I guess."

I felt Eddie's fingers curl into my flesh as his breathing became heavy with anger. It started to worry me and he must have known because he started to loosen his grip. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath before opening them up again and saying anything.

"I want you to promise me that if she ever comes near you again. That you yell for me or anyone else who's in the band. If I can help it she'll never get another chance."

"Who is she Eddie?" I asked worried and a little afraid. For what little details I gave about her Eddie sure felt like he knew her. Could they have had a history together?

"Don't worry about that now, babe. Just promise me you'll do what I said." He kissed my head and ran a calming hand down my back.

I wouldn't press about it anymore tonight. I had this strange, sick, feeling that soon enough skeletons would soon reveal itself. That scared me to no end but with Eddie by my side what did I have to fear, right?