1| There's No Place Like Home

Start from the beginning

Mel took a large swig of her coffee. "Yeah. You're right. Let's do it!"

********

2 hours later, or closer to 3 since Mel and I kept getting distracted, I was on the road heading to my dad's house.

I didn't live far from him. After everything, I didn't want to go to college far from home and leave my dad all alone; especially in our same house. After the accident, we both contemplated leaving— it just seemed too painful to stay.

However, we chose to stay and push through the pain. It was our childhood home, and it just contained too many good memories to leave behind.

Thus, I chose to attend a university that was 40 minutes from him; Far enough to give me my needed space and have a classic college experience, but close enough for frequent visits and home-cooked meals.

I had just barely made a dent into my "oldies" playlist when I soon arrived. I pulled into the familiar drive, taking note of the sad looking, unused basketball hoop my dad refused to get rid of.

I had barely shut off the engine of my car when I noticed my dad standing in the doorway. He must have heard the brakes of my car squeak— it wasn't in the best of shape.

I pulled my small duffel out of the passenger seat, briefly getting caught on the gear shift before ungracefully stumbling out of my car.

"Emery, hey! How are you sweet pea," my dad greeted when I reached him, holding the door wide open as I entered.

"Hi dad," I returned the greeting, slinging my duffel further over my shoulder to give him a hug. "I'm doing alright. How are you?"

"As well as I can be," he said as he returned my hug, "Come on in and get settled!"

I pulled away and followed my dad into our house, dismissing myself briefly to put my things upstairs in my room.

As I emerged up the familiar staircase, I took in the surroundings. I came home often, but it didn't change the fact that every time I walked upstairs I would get emotional. Addy and I didn't share a room, but hers was located next to mine. Now as I entered my room, I needed to pass by her door, which used to be decorated but has since become bare. Leaving Addy's hand-made sign up on her door was too difficult for us to look at every day, but seeing it empty and plain didn't feel right either.

I stopped for a minute in the hallway, staring at the door. I wasn't sure how my dad did it... staying in this house alone; sleeping in a bed where my mother once slept by his side. He was strong, but I wasn't sure if I would have been able to do it.

I shook my head, walking into my bedroom. It was simple; I was a fairly simple girl and lived a minimalist lifestyle. I never asked my dad for anything and bought whatever I needed myself through working as a waitress. I guess I just didn't want to burden him with anything after all he'd been through. I had what I needed, and often my dad would surprise me with a gift, but I didn't ever want to ask unless it was an emergency.

My bed sat against my back wall in the center of my room, with a large wooden dresser and small TV sitting on top. I had small night stands on either side of my bed with candles scattered around my room. I loved candles and would light them by mood or activity— eucalyptus when studying, fresh linens when cleaning, floral on a hot summers day, sugar cookie in the winter. I had many more candles throughout the house, but my room contained most of them.

I set my duffel bag down on my light grey bed spread, leaning it against my rose gold accent pillows. I walked over to my dresser, picking up a picture frame and running my fingers along the edges. I loved this picture. It was a family portrait taken one day when we were at the beach. It was taken a few months before the accident, and I liked to reminisce on how things once were. We were so happy; everyone's smiles so effortless.

I gently placed the frame back onto my dresser, taking a quick look at myself in the mirror. I wasn't an unhappy person anymore, but sometimes when I looked into my own eyes, I didn't see the happiness that I once had. I had come a long way, but I knew I still had some healing to do. I just wasn't sure how to get there.

For now though, I ran my fingers through my hair, cleared away any makeup smudges from my eyes, and headed back downstairs.

I came home to be with my dad on a difficult day, and that's exactly what I intended to do. Little did I know, that this trip home would, once again, change my life completely. 
_____________________________________________

Hi everyone!!! 😊

To my own surprise, after I finished writing Survivor and Toxic Paradise, I couldn't help myself and decided to write another book! I actually started writing this one a long time ago, and am just now starting to focus on it again. I started "EleDate" even after this one. As a contest, check out them both and let me know which book should be my main focus!

As for "Witness," I'm sure you've gathered, this book is completely separate from my others, with very different characters. Although, I'm sure you'll notice similarities, but that's just because sometimes I love writing certain scenes! And as it says in my bio, I LOVE cliche's. What's more cliche than a bodyguard romance? lol

At this point, I will say that I do have the book plotted out and the first 17 chapters written, but there is A LOT of work to go. My hope for this book is that my writing is improved. I have much love for all of my stories, but I'm hoping to improve with each book I write, as I'm starting to really understand and appreciate my own writing style!

So! Strap in and join me on this journey! Thank you for your comments, votes, and overall support.

Okay, bye for now! Hope you enjoyed the first chapter (albeit depressing) :)

-Haley