| Chapter XIII | the art of making friends

Today Joan went to get food and take it back to her cell

Today Joan went to get food and take it back to her cell. Odette had been crafting and wouldn't leave her cell just yet, so Joan wanted to make sure she ate.
Though when she was passing the cafeteria she saw Oswald had a plate with ice cream. An inmate that sat in front of him didn't like that and began yelling at him and beating him. She had also took notice of Dr. Strange and his assistant examining what was going on. But quickly rushed to his aid.

"Hey, back off!", Joan said pushing away the big guy that was beating Oswald.

The man only got angrier and tried to hit her. She dodge his fists and quickly hit him in the groin.

"I said back off!"

She dropped off Oswald in the infirmary before going back to her cell.

"Hey, what took you so long?", Odette looked at her sister and noticed the lack of food trays, "Where's the food?"

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I'll go get you something real quick."

"It's no problem, I can wait until lunch. Just stay here.", she went back to her crafting.

"Have you noticed Oswald has been acting weird lately?"

Odette looked back up again.

"I don't spend much time with him to give a full assessment. Why do ask?"

"I think Dr. Strange or his assistant Peabody are doing something to him."

"Some kind of therapy, most likely, you know considering this is an Asylum."

"No it can't be that, it's something worse. I just know it."

"Well, there are very painful forms of therapy, shock therapy for example. I'd like to remind you that we have privileges that the rest of the inmates do not have. If we don't want some type of therapy or something of the sort we just have to tell father and he's sort things out. We don't have to anything we don't want to. I'm certain no one else here has that luxury."

"They still shouldn't be able to do horrible stuff like that."

"Maybe not, but then again they're criminally insane. Everyone here has committed a crime, you mustn't forget that."

"I can't just let this go!"

"Why do you care so much about this guy anyways? I mean, you never shown any want to make friends ever. You're always so closed off to anyone, just less to me. Now you care about this guy's safety and all that."

"What, now I can't have friends?"

"I'm not against it or anything, it's just out of the ordinary. You are the one who'd always be against Reine bringing anyone to our table."

"Okay, Reine isn't here so it doesn't matter."

"So this is about Reine?"

"No! Why is it so hard to believe I just want make a friend?"

"Have you met yourself, Jo? One time you literally growled at someone for coming close to you."

"Personal space is not the same as friendship."

"When I became friends with Lee you threatened her."

"I didn't threatened her, I simply warned her about the backfire that would happen if she hurt you. I still don't see how any of this has to do with me wanting to make friends."

"Fine, but it is still definitely caused by Reine's absence. Which is fine, I'm glad you're finally making friends. It's sweet how much you care about those close to you."

"Well, it's one friend, let's not get to ahead of ourselves."