“I’m Caroline.” She introduced herself quietly as Mr. Sharpe started talking to the class about something else. He grinned at her, showing off some really nice white teeth. His dentist must be proud.

“Dean.”

“I know.” She smiled, before turning to face the front. After what felt like hours of listening to Mr. Sharpe teach, the bell rang.

“Finally!” Dean exclaimed, making Mr. Sharpe glare at him. Caroline laughed at this, along with the rest of the class, as she packed up her books.

“Miss Knight?” Mr. Sharpe stopped her before she could walk out the door. She bit her lip nervously as she watched everyone walk out of the room, leaving her alone with him. “Don’t tell me you think I forgot about the homework you didn’t hand in?”

“Okay.” She sighed. “You caught me. I didn’t do it. I completely forgot about it, and I’m sorry. It’s just… Mr. Jameson gave us so much math homework, and math hates me, so I worked on that all weekend, and probably got every single answer wrong anyway, and—“

“Calm down.” He held up his hands to silence her.

“I am calm.” She glared at him, fidgeting with the bottom of her shirt. “Can I just hand it in tomorrow?”

“Unfortunately, I can’t let you off that easy.” He picked up a piece of paper off of his desk, and held it out for her.

“What’s this?” She asked, taking it from him. He pointed at the door exactly a second before the bell rang, signalling the start of her next class. She swore, realizing the piece of paper was a late slip. Sighing, she turned to walk to the door.

“I’ll see you at lunch.” She snapped her head back to look at him and raised an eyebrow.

“Lunch?”

“You can work on your homework then.” He smirked.

“Great.” She groaned, before turning back towards the door and exiting the classroom. She had math next. Math hates her.

--

A knock on the door made Nick’s head shoot up. Checking his watch, he saw that there were still 20 minutes until lunch, so it wasn’t Caroline. And after the door opened, he saw that it definitely wasn’t Caroline. His friend, Will, walked in with a sour expression on his face. He was a fellow Agent, also undercover at this school. Although Will got off much easier than Nick did, and got to pose as a Gym teacher.

“So what happened after you followed them last night?” Nick asked, watching him sit at the desk situated front row and center.

“I lost them.” He sighed, rubbing a hand over his face. Nick stared at him confused for a few moments, trying to absorb what he had said.

“Lost them?”

“They must have realized I was tailing them. They started speeding up and I lost them in the traffic.” Nick clenched his jaw, and began tapping his fingers along the desk; a nervous habit of his. “I’m sorry, man.”

“Don’t be sorry.” He glared at him. “It just would have been nice to find out where they’re hiding out. We’ll get other chances, don’t feel too bad.”

“Alright,” Will grinned. “So how’s Caroline?”

“She’s… certainly interesting.” He quickly ran his fingers through his hair, and cleared his throat, thinking about all of the glares and dirty looks the girl has given him. “I’m pretty sure she hates me.”

“Hates you?” Laughter boomed out of his friend, and he clutched his stomach. “Why?”

“Think it’s my irresistible charm?” Nick joked, raising his eyebrows.

“Yeah, that’s definitely it.” The bell rang and Will stood up quickly. “Finally! I’m starving.”

“Will, you’re a teacher.” Nick looked at him like he had two heads. “You can eat anytime you want.”

“I know. But I wanna fit in.” He winked at him, before heading towards the door. “This is high school, man. High school!”

Nick laughed, watching him leave. After composing himself, he shook his head, pulled out a book from the top drawer of his desk and waited. He waited and waited, until finally, Caroline showed up.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry!” She exclaimed, storming into the classroom. The sudden outburst actually made Nick jump and he glared at her for this. She smiled sheepishly in return, before making her way to her desk.

“Care to tell me why you’re 15 minutes late?”

“Not really.” Caroline smiled nervously at him, and pulled out two pieces of paper for her essay.

“Well…” He drummed his fingers on the edge of his desk. “Too bad.”

“I fell, okay?” A blush crept its way onto her face and she scowled. He raised an eyebrow at her, which she ignored and started working on her homework.

“You fell?” He smirked. “How on earth did you manage to do that?”

“I missed a step on the stairs and…” She made a tumbling gesture with her hands and ended with an explosion, “Boom.”

“Yes, because falling down the stairs is like a bomb going off.” He chuckled and shook his head.

“Shut up.”