Chapter One

“Where is she?!”

Michael Knight sat against the cold brick wall of an abandoned apartment building, staring at the two young men in front of him. He shook his head and opened his mouth to reply, only to snap it shut when a fist flew and punched him in the jaw.

“No lies.” The first man growled. Michael knew who he was; he’d seen his file before. James Clark. He had short dark blonde hair, which looked like it hadn’t been washed in days. His bloodshot eyes were narrowed, glaring down at Michael. “Just tell us where she is, and we’ll leave you alone.”

Michael cocked his head to the side, swishing the blood in his mouth back and forth before finally spitting it at him. He instantly regretted this action when he saw him pull out a gun.

“You think this is a game?” James laughed. The second man still stood behind him, a smirk playing on his face. Michael didn’t know who this was. He had the same haircut as James, only dark brown and spiked.

“We know you know… so just tell us.” Michael watched James kneel down in front of him, the gun still in his hand. He watched with wide eyes as he pressed the gun to his leg. “Or we’ll go after your family.”

“Fuck you.” Michael says through gritted teeth. James narrows his eyes at him, before smirking.

“Nice choice.” He pulled the trigger.

--

Caroline Knight made her way through the halls of her high school, her black backpack hung loosely on her shoulders, and a gloomy expression resided on her face. Her dark brown hair was swept up into a messy ponytail, and bags rested beneath her eyes. She looked like a mess.

“Caroline!” She looked up and saw her best friends waiting for her at her locker. She gave them a small smile and quickened her pace. “How’s your dad?”

“He’s a lot better.” Caroline sighed, trying to remember what the doctor had told her and her family. “The bullet didn’t hit any major arteries or bones, so he’s going to be okay. If we’re lucky, he’ll be coming home sometime today.”

“That’s great!” Lauren exclaimed, a huge grin on her face.

“I still can’t believe he was mugged, though. I mean, who does that in this area?” Mason said, confusion written on his face. “I’m surprised they weren’t caught.”

“Me too…” Caroline trailed off, biting her lip. It really did make no sense. With her fathers job, the muggers surely would’ve been caught by now. Her thoughts were interrupted by a loud ringing noise that filled the hallways; the bell.

“Ugh, class already?” Lauren groaned, slinging her messenger bag over her head.

“See you guys later.” Caroline turned and slowly headed to her first class. She actually really loved this class, but only because of the teacher. Mrs. Lewis was her favourite teacher, and Caroline was almost positive she was her favourite student.

But when Caroline entered her homeroom class, she didn’t see her favourite teacher. Instead of the short blonde woman she saw every morning, a tall handsome man stood in her place. She furrowed her eyebrows and walked to her seat. This was their first supply teacher so far this year. She hoped it was the last.

“I’m Mr. Sharpe.” The man said, after the second bell signalled class had begun. He walked over to the chalkboard and wrote his name in clean, neat writing. “I’m sorry to inform you that Mrs. Lewis will no longer be teaching here. She’s found another school to teach at. I’ll be replacing her.”