17. Reunited For Now

Re edited

    The cold gray clouds covers the sky like a blanket. Alex gently leans her head on the window of the taxi. The streets pass in a blur as she travels closer to her designation.

    She glazes out the window. Her mind is empty, almost emotionless. Her features remain still. The only sound is the radio playing gently in the background. Alex ignores the world around her as she closes her eyes, falling in to a dreamless sleep.

Minutes later, The taxi stops at an erupt slam, causing Alex to jerk forward.

"Fuck sakes." She sneers.

    "Estamos aquí, adios señora." The taxi driver says to the stunned girl.

"Yeah, Thanks." Alex sarcastically comments. She quickly hands the man some money. Alex opens the car door with her duffel bag at in hand.

    Once out of the car, she looks up at the  modern apartment. The taxi proceeds to drive away. Alex lets out a deep breath before walking to the door.

    Luckily someone was leaving when she got there. She slides into the apartment door, catching it before it closes. Alex spots the elevator. She walks towards it with a bit of resistance.

    Alex pushes the button waiting for the elevator. A old man walks to catch it. The elevator door open. Politely, the man lets Alex walk in first.

    Once in the elevator, The two push the button to their floor.

    "Hola." The man greets with a friendly smile.

    "Huh?" Alex confusedly huffs. Alex stares at the man in confusion. Alex feels she met him all ready. He seems so familiar.

    "Ahhh, Americana." He replies, knowing the lost and confused look of the girl.

    "Yeah." She mutters with a nod, still trying to figure out where she knows him.

    "So, What are doing in Madrid?" He says in a heavy Spanish accent.

    "Family." She replies with a fake smile, and higher voice.

"Are you not happy to see them." He asks in curiosity and a knowing look.

"What." She says with her furrowed eyebrows. Alex's face drops. Her eyes went straight to the man.

"Oh, please. I've lived a life. I know when smiles are real." The old man answers to her confusion.

"Oh." She plainly answers as she glances around the elevator.

"Are you going to answer the question?" Asks the man with a wave like he's trying to get her attention.

"Um, I don't know. I guess. I left over two years ago, and I'm scared they won't wanna see me." She breaths as her feet suddenly become the most interesting thing.

"In my opinion, Family is the one thing you can never lose." He hopefully encourages. He smiles. Probably remembering the situations he's been through.

"Thanks, but I already did." Alex sadly remembers her sisters death. When the elevator door opens to her floor, She steps out.

Alex turns to waves goodbye.

"Sometimes family is where you least expect it." The old man smiles, before the elevator closes.

Suddenly, it clicks in her brain.

"The cafe worker." She smiles. "Romeo." Alex whispers as she smiles at their likeness. That man reminds her so much of Romeo from the cafe. She reminds herself to go visit sometime.