Prologue: The Start Of Something New

Re-edited version

"Mom! Liam's not giving me my keys" Alex yelled. Her voice echoed through the house. Alex jumped for her car keys. Clearly, her brothers tall figure would not let her.

    "You're no fun, Lexi" Liam whined. He dropped the keys. They hit the floor with a thunk. Liam laughed when his sister picked them up off the floor.

    "My name is Alex!" She hissed at the boy. She's never liked being called Lexi. Her parents gave her siblings all nicknames that start with L. She was always a bit... boyish. Her mother called her rough and unfeminine. So, she embraced it and started going by Alex.

   With a kick to the shin, She ran away laughing.

    "You're dead." Liam said running after the girl with the pain from his leg vanishing with revenge.

    Alex ran fast. She quickly ran to the front door. She fumbled with the lock. Her breath out of control. Her brother still not far behind her.

    "Lex!" He yelled, feet away from Alex.

    "Shit!" Alex screamed as the door opened. She almost tripped running towards her car.

    "Watch your mouth!" Alex's mother yelled before she drowned out by the blow of the wind.

    Alex reaches the car. She practically threw herself in and locked the doors.

    Her brother gives up at the sight of this. He farewells her with a middle finger. Alex pulled out of the drive way laughing with a grin on her face.

    Alex's mom's hand hits Liam in the back of the head. Hard.

    "Ow! What was that for?" He asked, wondering how the women got outside so fast, and why he didn't notice. Moms. Right?

    "You both are in your twenties, and you still act like children." She said before walking back into the house. "That's the last time you guys fall asleep here. Lazy ass kids." Their mom rambles and she walked back in the house.

    Alex pulled into a parking spot at the side of the road. She looked at her back seat grabbing her black hoodie, a cap, and sunglasses.

    "A child could find a better disguise." She insults herself.

    She puts on her hoodie, and gets out of the car, grabbing the sun glasses before she shut and locked her car.

    Walking one the sidewalk of Los Angeles in a hoodie wasn't the most professional thing, but when it came to her job, I think it was justifiable. Or not as much as she thought.

    Alex came to a brick house. The black metal fence looked rusted, but very well suited the house. Alex pushed open the gate and walked to the front door. A little knock was all it took for the person on the other side of the door to open it.

    "Danelle." The guy greeted in acknowledgement.

    "Mr. Peterson. I'd prefer you call me Ms. Langley." Alex spoke, ignoring his greeting. "Do you have it?" She asked straight up with and sign of friendliness gone.

    "Yes, come in." He offered hesitantly.

    "No, I'll take what's owed, and leave." She authoritatively told the man.

    "Very well. Give me a moment." He said walking into the house. He returned moments later with a briefcase. Alex took the briefcase with pleasure.

    "It's all there. You have my word." He told the women.

    "Okay. I expect it all there. I think both of us know you can't hide." Alex said before leaving.