Chapter 67- What Now?

Start from the beginning

"Look I was DOWN in Emergency! They told me to check HERE! Her name is Brynn... that's B. R. Y. N. N. Shelby. S. H. E. L. B. Y."

"I know, Sir but I told you already, we don't have a patient registered with that name."

"She called me ... she said..."

I touched his shoulder and he whirled on me so fast I stumbled backward.

"WHAT?!"

"Mr. Shelby... Sir. I'm a friend of Brynn's. I brought her here."

He grips up my shoulders with a painful vice grip, the desperation for information clearly written across his face.

"Where is she? Is she okay? What's happened to her?!"

"Brynn is fine. Nothing's happened to her. Mrs. Rose is in the hospital. Brynn needed a ride since you had her car. I brought her here."

He lets me go and I try to massage out the fingerprints I'm sure are now permanently etched on my upper arms.

"Oh thank God! She called my phone and left several messages. She was crying so hard I couldn't understand a word she said. Then she calls back and says she's going to Memorial Hospital. That I was to meet her here. I've been going out of my mind wondering what's happened to her. I broke every speed limit between work and this hospital."

I try to smile at him. Well at least I know he really cares about Brynn. I glance at the nurse behind the counter who looks very confused. "There's been a mix-up. He's here to see Mrs. Rose, in room 213. He thought his daughter was in the hospital because of the confusing message she left. Can I take him back to the room?"

"Oh, sure sweetie. Just remember the rule is only two visitors at a time in the room."

"Got it. Oh, and Mrs. Rose is awake and pretty eager to find out what landed her here."

"That's great news. We'll send the doctor in as soon as we can."

"Thank you!"

"You're welcome." She smiles at me but then glares at Mr. Shelby, who didn't even apologize to the nurse when he discovered she told him the truth.

"Come on. I'll take you back."

It was pretty hard to believe after all this time I'm walking next to Brynn's dad. I never thought I would meet him. I wondered if perhaps once the crisis ended I might get the chance to talk to him about Brynn.

"How do you know my daughter?"

I wanted to say she's my girlfriend but knew that wouldn't fly with either him or Brynn so I went with, "From school."

"You go to Central? I didn't know Brynn met any boys there."

"No, her old school. Lenape High?"

"What's with the bruised face?"

I didn't want to tell him the lie I told everyone else as that would really put me in a bad light, so I went with the truth. "I broke up a fight in school and got caught in the crossfire."

"Really? My daughter had an altercation there as well. One of the reasons I pulled her out. I can't say I'm surprised though. Considering who they chose as principal. That woman should be fired. It's obvious she can't handle the job."

The words to defend my mom leaped to my mouth. We arrived at the room so they died on my tongue as our conversation had to end here.

Brynn gasped when she'd seen her Dad standing next to me in the doorway.

"Dad?!"

Gran turned her head and I swear her heart monitor picked up a bit. "Greg."

Mr. Shelby seemed reluctant to step into the room. Almost as if he believed his presence wouldn't be welcome.