Chapter 67- What Now?

They were gone for a long time. I began to pace, going out of mind with worry for Brynn, for her grandmother. My Dad kept trying to reassure me it was a good thing. The longer it took, the higher Brynn's chances of being with her grandmother, he reasoned. However, it did nothing to stop the feeling of me wanting to crawl out of my own skin with the nervous energy I felt.

"So no news is good news?"

My dad grins. "Something like that. Look, stay here. I'll go forage for some snacks. I think I'd seen a vending machine back in the other hallway."

"Okay, thanks."

"No problem, kiddo." My dad walks out of the waiting room and again I wait.

My mom shows up. I'm encouraged by the huge smile she is wearing. I stand and walk over to her.

"Brynn is with her Grandmother. Getting information turned out to be much simpler than we thought. Mrs. Rose had Brynn set up as her Emergency Contact so all Brynn had to do was verify who she was. Thankfully she remembered to bring her wallet with her driver's license."

"So Brynn is with her grandmother right now?"

My mom nods her head yes. "Brynn asked if you'd go back with her. They only allow two people in the room at a time, for obvious reasons."

I didn't have to be asked twice. A quick kiss to my Mom's cheek and raced for the doors. My mom had to yell the room number to me. As I rushed through, I turn to give her two thumbs up to let her know I heard her.

I get to the room and Brynn is standing by Gran's bedside holding her hand. Gran looks so fragile lying there in that bed, hooked up to all those monitoring machines. She has that string for oxygen around her face and up her nose. They both give me a weak smile when I come through the doorway.

"Hey there, Loveface. Thanks for bringing my girl to me," Gran said, her voice a mere whisper.

"Happy I could help." I lean over and kiss her cheek. Her pale cheeks flush with a telltale blush. Brynn giggled upon seeing it and looked up at me with shining eyes.

I move over to her side of the bed. Not wanting Gran to have to strain to look back and forth at us. I lean over and give Brynn a kiss on the cheek as well. She rewards me with one of her eye-rolls and I laugh.

"So what happened? Indulge in too many of those delicious cookies now that Brynn isn't around to eat them all."

Brynn smacks me and I pretend it hurt. Gran chuckles a little.

"I wish," she tells us. "It would have been far more fun. Truth is I'm not exactly sure what happened. I got ready to go to Bingo. I knew my friend Merle would be at my apartment soon. We always go together and the next thing I know, I woke up here."

I look to Brynn. "They say anything to you yet?"

"No. They said they ran tests on her when they brought her in but I haven't seen a doctor and Gran just opened her eyes a few minutes ago when your mom and I were here."

"Let me see if I can get someone from the nurse's station to send in a doctor. I'll let them know she's awake."

Both Gran and Brynn nodded. I left the room and approach the nurse's station.

I see a man giving the nurse behind the desk a hard time. He looks panic-stricken. I feel so sorry for these people. It must be terrifying to be woken up in the middle of the night only to find out a loved one is sick, dying or God forbid dead.

He raises his voice and slams a fist down on the counter. He's loud and belligerent to the nurse who is trying her best to keep him calm. She is getting nowhere with this guy. Then I overhear Brynn's name.