Chapter 12 - A New Prediction, A New Predicament

Brynn pulls me into the auditorium

Brynn pulls me into the auditorium. "Believe it or not, Brynn I have actually been in the auditorium before." I laugh.

"Not like this, you haven't." She lets go of my hand before racing down the carpeted center isle, past all the black and red folded seats. "Come on, slowpoke," she teases, running backward and now waving me forward. She turns back around and jogs up the four steps to the stage on the left-hand side and disappears behind the red velvet curtain.

I pick up my speed and jog to the stage, climb up the steps and when I get behind the curtain, I can't see a thing. "Brynn, are you still here?"

"Yeah, hold on." Her voice comes from somewhere above me if that's even possible and I go to move further in but nearly break my neck over something that materialized in front of me. "Mmmm," I groan out loud having smashed my foot. Maybe I shouldn't go to practice today. I am way too accident-prone.

"Don't move." I hear her giggling somewhere off in the distance. "It will only take me a second. There " she says triumphantly.

Three spotlights illuminate the area backstage. "Stay there. I'll be down in a sec." I finally find her staring down at me from a caged area above me, obviously where the stage crew operates the lights. Skipping down the last couple of stairs she comes to stand before me.

"I love it back here." Her eyes are shining bright with her excitement. "It has to be the coolest place in the entire school. Come on." She takes my hand again and leads me back behind a second curtain.

I see some of the sets they are working on for the play. Something that looks like the woods and another that is shaping up to look like a palace. They are amazing. "Did you do these?" I move over to another to take a closer look. 

"Those are a collaborative effort. We have several artists on crew. This is the one I am most proud of." She pulls the large canvas I'd seen her puzzling over the other day. It's just a rough sketch but you can tell it's Titania's part of the woods as there are trees and fairies hidden among branches and flying about. 

"Are you going to paint this too?" I inspect every inch finding something new with each section I explore.

"Yeah, it will be an undertaking but I'll get it done." She pushes it aside and I see all these old sets stacked against the wall. "Wow!"

"I know right?" She giddily bounces over to them. "This is what I really wanted to show you. These are all sets painted by students in the past. Turns out the large canvases are really expensive for the school to purchase so we tend to repurpose them. I hate having to paint over a scene though. I feel like I am erasing someone from history."

"Well nothing lasts forever, Brynn," I say, moving a classroom backdrop used in Black Patent Leather Shoes, from last year to see what's behind it. "So you said you have to paint over these to use them again?" I'm now looking at an office scene I remember they used in How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying from Freshman Year.