Chapter 6 - He shoots and he...Oh, No!

"Now what's wrong with you?" Tyler asked, obviously annoyed by my new mood swings

"How?" I mutter.

"How what?" 

"How am I going to get this letter to Brynn? I don't know where she lives." We walk out onto the court together. "I don't know her class schedule. To wait until tomorrow would be lame. I just wish..."

"You could walk right up and hand it to her?" Tyler finishes for me.

"Yeah, but as I said..."

Tyler is shaking his head like I'm pitiful and spins me around by the shoulders. There's Brynn standing in the gym working on sets for the play.

"For the brightest kid in the class, you really are oblivious sometimes." Tyler pushes my back causing me to stumble forward a step or two. I was grateful since my feet seemed firmly planted on the floor. 

We hear a lot of loud talking and giggles as the cheerleading squad comes in to practice for the Pep Rally. Boy, this gym is getting crowded fast and things are getting more complicated by the second as Jessica's head is already swiveling around trying to spy where I am.

"Just go." Tyler pushes me again. "I got your back."

As quickly as I can, I try to get to Brynn. I don't have much time because as we all know Jessica is very persistent and annoying, two things Tyler doesn't have much patience for, so the clock has already begun winding down even before I get to say, "Hey."

10 tick.

She is standing in front of a huge blank eight-foot by eleven-foot backdrop, trying it seems to puzzle out how to get the 5x7 inch picture in her hand to reduplicate itself bigger and on the canvas.

9 tick.

Brynn turns almost as if sensing my presence and she is smiling at me again. I like that smile. It makes me feel things I haven't felt before and anything different is good.

8 tick.

"You're starting to crowd me," she says after a moment of silence passes between us.

7 tick.

I want to say something witty back but I am having a complete brain meltdown.  I panic and I thrust the letter forward.

6 tick

She doesn't take it from me. That worries me. That and the fact that she has this strange expression on her face somewhere between confusion and wanting to laugh; she opts for the second and starts giggling.

5 tick

"Give me a break. It's my first time," I admit sheepishly.

4 tick

"Wow, that's a phrase I wouldn't expect to hear coming from you."

3 tick

She takes my note. Is my mouth open? Did Brynn Shelby just make a sexual innuendo about ME?

2 tick

"I like sailboats,"  Brynn admits admiring my handiwork. 

1 tick

"Babe. How are you? I've missed you soooo much."

The buzzer resonates, rattling my brain.

It sounds so final and I get the distinct feeling I missed my shot as Jessica kisses my cheek, her arms encircle me sideways and Brynn has gone.

If I weren't a gentleman I would have violently shoved Jessica aside. Instead, I calmly remove her hands from my being and purposefully wipe my cheek with the back of my hand.

"Who was that? A new student you're tutoring? You are always so nice taking time to help those less fortunate."

Brynn must have seen her coming. Her escape to expertly executed. I thought I disliked Jessica before. Now... I haven't the words to describe how much I loathe this girl. No, wait. Loathe. Yeah... that about sums it up. I loathe her.

I snap.

"Jess, it's over. It's been over. For weeks now." I get in her face. "And for some reason the only person who knows this of the two of us is me. So, to make this perfectly clear. I am no longer dating you. I don't want to date you. I will never date you again."

The last few words I say slowly and distinctly as if I were speaking to my Gran who's a little hard of hearing at times, but not loudly like I would if it were actually my Gran. Instead, I say it low and soft right by her ear in the most ominous tone I can muster.

I realize I achieved my effect as she shivers slightly and backs away. Her face breaks into a huge smile, she turned and goes bouncing back to her squad. Appearances are everything if you are Jessica Davis. I want to make a vomit motion, but hold myself in check.

I look across the court. Tyler has an apologetic look on his face but as much as I wish I had more time with Brynn I can't lay the blame on him. Jessica is not easily held in check, not even if you are one of the best at man-to-man defense.

Coach blows his whistle and I jog across the court taking only a moment to look back briefly at the doors through which Brynn disappeared. Somehow I just knew she wouldn't be coming back through them again and in my gut, I have this sinking feeling. Hopefully, my little origami sailboat is fairing better than me with Brynn right now.

"The court is a little tight at the moment," Coach Dennon says. "Split into two groups and we'll run some lay-up drills."

The rest of the team groans obviously disappointed in having to do drills in place of a practice game, but personally, I welcome the physical exertion that will be required.  Coach always enjoys running us ragged. 

With luck by the time I finish, I will be too tired to move, or to think which is the last thing I want to do right now, and when I get home I will have just enough time to have dinner with my parents, finish my calculus problems, and shower before passing out in bed.

Tyler comes up beside me. We are always on the same side. He knows I'm stuck in my head. His look of disapproval reminds me I've got a job to do. I shake it off.  He grins. We do our thing of a fist bump followed by a backward hand slap and we take our place in line.

"Bring it on. Let's do this thing!" I yell, the team hollers back and drills begin.