Chapter 65 - Tell Me!

Brynn eyes never left the road. My eyes never left Brynn.

"You know I only have a 30-minute dinner break right?" She kept driving and I couldn't help but wonder if her intention is to possibly get me fired.

"I'll get you back in time. Don't worry."

Worry? Worry. Why would I worry? Just because the girl I'm in love with sees yet another girl kiss me and say we are going together to the prom... why should that make me worried?

"Do you like her?" Brynn takes her eyes off the road for only a mere second and then stares straight ahead almost as if she finds the thought of looking at me too painful. Oh, this is bad, really bad.

"Not in the way I think you're implying," I tell her.

"And in what way would that be?' Brynn tried to sound so unaffected but failed so miserably.

My frustration with this cat and mouse game got the better of me. I'm tired of forever feeling guilty over feelings I did not create, endorse or manifest and yet the only true feeling I have for this beautiful girl next me is forbidden to be expressed. She claims she just wants to be friends yet looks heartbroken that someone is taking her place. This is insane.

Brynn pulls into some random business center parking lot. Since it's gone past closing time the lot is empty and she parks the car, turns and stares at me. "If you've moved on, it's okay... I'm happy for you."

I blink once, maybe twice. "Wow! Just wow, Brynn."

"What?" She is desperate to appear nonchalant. Only I know her too well for that.

I had enough. I look at her dead in the eye and demand, "Tell me you love me."

"What? No."

"Tell me you love me or I'm getting out of this car and I'll walk back to work. Even if it means probably losing my job as I haven't a clue where I am right now.

She looks so panicked but I refused to back down.

"Tell me!"

She shakes her head no.

"Alright, have it your way." I reach down to undo my seat belt and her eyes go wide.

"NO wait!" her hands cover mine stopping me from unlatching the belt.

I look at her, my heart is on the table fully exposed with a guillotine dangling above it, but I no longer care. There comes a time where you got to pull out all the stops, go for broke, take the shot or be left forever wondering, 'Would you have won if only you tried?'

"TELL ME," I implore of her but even still there's nothing but hesitation and fear, a wall so thick I don't ever think I'll break through.

"I..."

My breath catches in my throat, I'm practically choking on my own spit.

"I..."

If it could physically reach in and pull out the words out I would.

"I can't. I'm sorry."

"Why? Because of Paris, Jessica? I don't LOVE THEM... I LOVE you!"

"Please don't."

I throw my hands up in the air at that answer. She is the most frustrating. The most infuriating woman I've ever met.

"Too bad. You want to keep lying to yourself you go right on ahead but I know what's in my heart, Brynn. I know that despite your every effort to push me away. I know I love you and the worst part of loving you is knowing that you love me too."