Chapter 61- My Dinner Date

I come down the stairs and my mom stops in the kitchen and openly gawks at me, probably because I'm wearing a suit. "You look nice. You going somewhere?

"Yep, got a date," I tell her and kiss her cheek. "I'll be back before curfew. Nite, Mom."

"Finn?! Date?! With who?!" My mom is yelling at me but I'm already sprinting out the door and wave to her before I get in the car.

I'm enjoying shaking everyone up a bit. It's ... fun. I stop at the grocery store to buy some carnations I get a bunch in three different colors as I'm not entirely sure what's Gran's favorite and have the woman in the florist section wrap them up for me.

"Sure you don't want roses?" the woman asked and I just smile and shake my head no. She hands them to me. I half thought to bring a dessert but knowing Gran I'm pretty sure she'll have it covered.

I pull up outside the house and park, glancing briefly at my watch. "Right on time," I say to no one as I ring the doorbell. I quickly hide the flowers behind my back and Gran opens the door.

"Hello, Gran," I say.

She smiles at me and steps aside. "Come on in, Loveface. Dinner is almost ready."

As I step in, I pull the flowers from behind my back. "These are for you."

Gran gasps. "Carnations! Oh, Finn, they are my FAVORITE!"

"I cheated," I confessed, "Brynn told me."

"She didn't tell you to get them for me though did she?"

I grin. "No, I wanted to do that on my own."

Gran takes the flowers and pulls a vase out of her china cabinet. Within the minutes the flowers are added to the table for two all set for dinner.

"Do you need help with anything?" I ask as she makes her way back into the kitchen.

"No sweetheart, just have a seat. I'll bring everything out."

"Okay," I say and look around momentarily expecting Brynn to pop up from somewhere but she's really gone and I frown.

"I miss her, too," Gran says placing two plates of food on the table.

"I'm that obvious?"

"Yes," Gran said offering me the salt but I shake my head no.

"This looks delicious," I say wanting to change the subject to something that doesn't make us both sad.

"What happened that night, Finn?"

"What night?"

"When I ordered the pizza?"

"Oh," I say looking away feeling suddenly nervous. "Nothing much."

Gran's eyes narrow on me like I've seen my mom do hundreds of time. It 's an expression that clearly states I'm not fooling anyone.

I sigh and shove some of the creamiest mashed potatoes I've ever tasted into my mouth.

She just patiently waits for me to answer.

"Okay, I screwed up."

"How?" she asks starting to eat her own meal.

This is not what I had in mind for dinner talk but I figure it's best just to be straight up about it.

"I got mad. She keeps pulling away from me. She's broken up with me several times already. Now we're just friends."

"Friends?" Gran's one eyebrow lifts in obvious disbelief. "You told you loved her didn't you?"