Chapter 21 - Meeting Brynn's Gran

She held my hand all the way home

She held my hand all the way home. We talked about all sorts of things. Art, her favorite artist was van Gogh. I thought that her answer was far too tame. I would have thought her a Warhol fan. She seemed surprised I had an opinion either way.

"So what about you?" Brynn asked.

"That's easy, my favorite artist would be you," I say in all honesty but she gives me shove and as I did not expect this I nearly landed in someone bushes.

"I meant REAL artist," she said, giving me back her hand so I could regain my balance.

"So did I but if you mean other than you, I would have to say Jeff Koons." I can see I surprised her.

"Really?"

"Yeah why?"

"I don't know. Why do you like him?"

"Who doesn't love gigantic balloon animals," I say in all seriousness.

"You surprise me, Finn Nash and keep doing so. How do you do it?"

"No idea just happy they all seem like good surprises."

"Well this is me," she said stopping in front of a small ranch style home.

"Hmm," I don't want to say good-bye. I'm in pretty bad.

She smiles and says, "Would you want to come in? Get something to drink before heading home."

"Yeah!"

"Okay, come on." She takes my hand and leads me up the walk. Stops to collect the mail and then pulls out her keys including the wonderful eight ball to open the door.

"Hey, Gran. I'm home!" she yells and places the mail down on the table and the keys in her bag.

"Okay sweetie! I'm makin' your favorite, oatmeal cookies," her Grandmother said appearing from the kitchen pulling off an oven mitt.

"They smell really good," I say and feel myself salivating.

"Oh, didn't know we had company?" Brynn's grandmother said holding out her hand, "Dorothea Rose, and you are?"

"Finn Nash, Mrs. Rose. Happy to meet you!"

She didn't let go of my hand and looked at Brynn with a very surprised look. "Veronica's son?"

Brynn nodded, and I didn't know what that meant.

"Interesting, I think I prefer Love Face."

Now I know where Brynn get her conversation skills from because once again I'm left thinking "Huh?"

"Love face?" I say looking from one to the other and they just laugh in unison.

"I'll explain later," Brynn, said.

"Oookay."

"Your dad know about this?" Brynn's grandmother said pointing again to me.

Brynn just shook her head no.