He looked down at me with a wide range of emotions running through his face.

Confusion.

Worry.

Anger.

Fear.

"I told you not to follow me," I mumbled on the verge of tears. I didn't want him to see me like this. I especially didn't want to hear anything he had to say. The worst-case scenario was he wouldn't feel the same way and want to break up.

"Does it look like I care? You didn't answer my calls!" He yelled at me angrily.

"Does it look like I care?" I mimicked him.

He glared at me, "Xiaofan, don't. Why did you run away?" He asked.

What was I supposed to say? I ran away because I was scared? I ran because I was insecure and not confident that he loved me the same way I loved him?

"Xiaofan, answer me!" He was getting more frustrated by the second.

"I take it back," I mumbled digging my nails into my hand to prevent my tears from falling.

"What?" He gritted through his teeth.

"I take it back. I don't love you. I lied. Happy?" I pushed my arms against his chest trying to escape.

He didn't budge and only moved in closer, "No. You can't take it back. You love me." He roughly grunted.

"No, I don't."

"Yes, you do."

"I don't."

His eyes narrowed at me. "Why do you secretly come to my apartment and cook for me pretending you weren't there as if I wouldn't notice there's suddenly food I didn't buy or make in my fridge then?"

I bit my lower lip. How did he find out? I only did it a few times. Okay that's a lie. I came to his apartment every other day since he gave me a set of keys.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Liwei smirked amused. "Really now? Why does Lei suddenly force me to take unnecessary breaks throughout my shifts?"

I told Lei to be subtle, that fool. Then again, he's Lihua's boyfriend. They're two peas in a pod. I doubt either of them realizes what the word subtle even means.

"How would I know? Shouldn't you be asking Lei?"

"Why do you call every day asking if I've eaten and to say good night?
Feign innocence. That was the best plan I could come up with.

We silently stared at one another.

I furrowed my eyebrows because Liwei continued to give me a displeased expression.

Suddenly, Liwei's face softens as if in realization. "You...you really don't love me?"

"Liwei, why do you never listen to me? I don't love you!" I screamed feeling my eyes start to water and my voice breaking.

Liwei dropped his hands from my sides and took a step back away from my body.

I met his gaze and I must've imagined it.

For just a second.

One single second, I thought I saw hurt in his eyes. But less than a moment later it was replaced with his regular stoic expression.

"Okay." He said turning around and walking away.

Was this it?

Was this our inevitable end?