19. First Date

"Lianlian, no! I can't wear that! Do you realize how cold it is outside?" I looked horrified at the outfit Lianlian pulled out of her closet.

Lianlian put her arms on her hips and let out a frustrated breathe, "so you're telling me that is what you're wearing on your date?"

I looked down at my ensemble. I had one of my warmest, thick brown knitted sweater. I paired it with simple jeans and sneakers. I always wore this and it was comfy.

"What's wrong with what I'm wearing?" I accused.

"You look like you're ready to enter the nunnery! You gotta show a little skin to get him wanting more." Lianlian insisted shoving her outfit choice at me.

20 minutes later, a reluctant me was in a skirt so short I feel if I bent over I'd be flashing everyone and their mom.

Lianlian agreed to let me wear a pale pink button-down sweater with it versus the white tight fitted top she picked for me originally. However, this was still so revealing for my tastes. Not to mention I'd probably end up with hypothermia. I'm so sensitive to the cold as it is, this surely wasn't helping.

"Are you girls going somewhere?" Mama asked when Lianlian walked me to the front door.

"Jiejie's going on a date," Lianlian said.

"Lianlian!" I unintentionally yelled.

Lianlian looked at me confused not understanding what was wrong while Mama looked at me shocked.

"Xiaofan what does Xiaolian mean by date? Where and with whom are you going with? Liu Feng?" Mama sounded a little hopeful when she said Liu Feng's name.

I cringed. It was now or never.

"No. Definitely not Liu Feng."

Mama raised her eyebrow waited for me to continue.

I took a deep breathe. Just rip the bandage off,  Xiaofan. It's probably not as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be.
"Remember Jiang Liwei? The one you thought was an intruder? Well, h-he's my-"

"For god sakes, they're dating Ma!" Lianlian shouted impatiently.

And there goes the bandage.

I looked up at Mama hesitantly. She was speechless.

After what felt like a century, Mama finally spoke, "Is that so? Well, be safe. Don't come back too late." Mama smiled at me warmheartedly.

I returned her smile and nodded my head. "I'll be going now." I greeted.

Lianlian pulled me outside and shut the front door so Mama wouldn't hear, "That wasn't so bad, huh?" She gave me a toothy smile.

I returned her smile with a glare.

She giggled in returned ignoring my glare. Her eyes gazed up and down my body one more time satisfied, "I did well. Liwei won't even know what hit him." Lianlian joked.

I rolled my eyes while trying to adjust my sweater and pull my skirt down a bit.

"Well, have fun," Lianlian said dejectedly.

"Don't you have anything planned today?" I asked.

"Other than preparing myself for Mama and Baba's rage when I tell them the news? Then no." She joked sadly.

She looked so sad; it hurt my heart.

An idea suddenly crossed my mind.

I was hesitant to say it. A part of me wanted to cheer her up, but another part of me selfishly wanted today for myself. Not to mention how Liwei would react if I acted on this idea.