While he was driving like there's no tomorrow. His knuckles turning white due to his grasp on the steering wheel, and the distance that takes ten minutes usually took just four minutes in total.

****

I packed my bags as fast as possible, and reached Nonna's place just two hours before the flight time.

James came to me, "Erica please accept the job and stay beside him in States. He will push you away, but please bear with him. I will never forget this favour of yours."

Jess nodded in affirmation, "I am his mother and I know he hates this fact. You are the first person he shared a smile with, after David. Take care of him."

Our talks were disturbed when he came down, carrying his bag.
"Stephan let's go!", He didn't even spare a glance towards his parents and only nodded towards nonna.

I knew it's time to speak, "Sir I will come with you."

For the first time he looked at me, "No need."

"But..."

"I can manage.", Think Erica. Think!

He started to walk away, "Hey! Listen! You promised me that you'll give me the job!"
I ran and stood before him.

He looked at me with cold eyes, his style of scaring people away.
But I stood there, "You can't break your promise."

"Move Erica!"

"This is not done Sir!", I became stern.

And then extracting the papers from my blazer pocket, I showed him, "See I have signed my appointment letter. Only your sign is left."

He glanced at the paper, and then at me, and then back at the papers.

James was amused, and I felt relief seeing him smiling.

Nonna felt the need to intervene, "My grandson never breaks his promise.. you can't doubt him Erica."

He glanced at Nonna, supposedly glaring, "You yourself is pushing herself into hell. Don't regret later."

He took the papers and signed them.

"Come!", I danced mentally as he walked past me.

Waving everyone a goodbye, I sat beside him only to find him glaring.

Had it been the day, when this man walked in my life, I would have been scared as shit.
But now after being with him, for this long, and staring in his eyes for almost two months, I know there is a man behind that hard exterior, who melts as easily as ice. The one who cares, the one who protects, the one who smiles, the one who jokes, the one who laughs, the one who loves.

E R I C

"Where to Miss. Miller!?", Stephan asked.

She isn't having a place to stay but stubborn woman she is.

"Uh...Take first to Sir's penthouse. We'll drop him first.", See that's what I said.

I was not in the mood but this situation amused me.

"Erica did you read the clauses on the appointment letter!?", Of course not! She was too eager to become my PA.

She smiled nervously, "Uh..Sir.. I'll..."

"Read the clause number 5."

She readily fidgeted to bring out the papers from her bag.
Probably guessing.

"The employee needs to stay with the employer for the sake of convenience in work. It has to be accomplished from the day of appointment.....", Her voice trailed off.

I ignored her then, "Stephan take us to the penthouse."

He was amused too.

Once at the penthouse, I ordered her to settle in the guestroom, and make some other room as guestroom.

In my room, when again my misery started clouding over, it became difficult for me to stand straight.

I sat on my bed, and pulled out the white coloured paper from my pocket.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ERIC!
Was written in bold. It was Eve's gift for me on my 13th birthday.
The catch is she could never give me this.
And I could never scowl for the same.

Yesterday's visit to my childhood home, deepened all the wounds which I thought have faded with time.
Yes, I was sad before also, but recently started smiling. That is what I have to avoid.

My little Eve died of pain.
How can I smile with the image of her corpse in my head!?
Atleast not in this life.