The Science of Spying // Agent #252

"Now listen up Levi," I began at a hushed tone as we stopped at a T-intersection, "spying is an art, a science. There's precise rules you have to follow, all of which exist for good reasons-- Levi??"

I glanced around sharply in search of the young teen, before distinguishing a lanky figure slipping away through the dark passage to my right.

"Come on Rivers, we don't have time for speeches!"

Despite the darkness, I was certain that Levi was rolling his eyes, and I rolled my own in response.

"We have all night, Levi, it's best not to go in unprepared. Now as I was saying--"

"'Spying is an art, young padawan, pay careful attention because I know everything,'" Levi mimicked mockingly.

"I don't sound like that!"

"Oh yes you do," Levi smirked, "and if spying is an art, Rivers, I'd like to point out that when it comes to art, everyone has their own style, and there are no rules. Now let's move already!"

"But that doesn't mean it can't hurt to be prepared--" I tried, but Levi was already sprinting onwards down the passage to my right.

"Keep up old man!"

I let out a series of muttered curses, and raised my voice.

"The dungeons are the other way, kid!"

"I knew that!" Levi replied as he backtracked past me, heading in the opposite direction, "also, I prefer calling it the basement, 'dungeons' makes it sound like we're in an ancient castle."

"Well, we did enter through a museum," I pointed out as I fell into step behind him.

"Hmm, fair point. Dungeons it is. Hey, can we speed up a bit? Or do you think I'll lose you?"

I let out a sigh as Levi sprinted on down the darkened passage, not bothering to wait for my response.

I'm definitely going to regret this.

-

"I hate to ask this, but... are we lost?"

"No," I answered sharply, "you're lost, I'm not."

Levi scoffed.

"Well seeing as how I'm right in front of you, that means we're both not lost. Now which way is it to the dungeons?"

"Before we go on--"

"I just need a 'left' or 'right', Rivers, not a speech," Levi stated.

I shook my head firmly.

"I've had about enough of your overconfident attitude. Before we set so much as another step, we need a plan. What are you suggesting we do once we get to the dungeons, just storm in?"

"Well, yeah, pretty much," Levi shrugged, "that sounds like a good plan to me."

I let out a dry laugh.

"The dungeons will be heavily guarded, even more so than usual. There's no way the BRSS is losing Lex London from its grasp a second time. Even talking to him will be nigh impossible."

Levi seemed to wilt slightly under my criticism, before springing back to his confident self.

"Well then, what's your plan?"

I paused for a moment, running several options through my head.

"Wellllll... we could use the vents to sneak past all the guards in the passages leading up to the dungeons. Then we could knock out the two guards that are inside the actual dungeon room, which would give us time to speak to Lex until those two wake up."