4. The Regret

Harsh Vardhan Trivedi, a man of words, lived a life that encapsulated both the best and worst phases. Born into poverty, he harbored a burning desire to achieve something significant. At the tender age of twelve, he entered his father's business, armed with perseverance and courage. The combination of his determination and his father's patience and experience led to remarkable success. Throughout his life, his sole ambition remained to carve a niche in the business world, leaving an indelible mark in its history.

Despite his aspirations, Harsh Vardhan was not self-centered or avaricious. Rather, his driving force was the desire to shield his children from the hardships he had endured. He aimed to provide the luxury and comfort he now offered his offspring, ensuring a life free from the struggles that had defined his own past.

When he married, tragedy struck as his father passed away, leaving Harsh Vardhan in a state of despair. At the time, he was just beginning to navigate the complexities of the business world, burdened by the loss of stock values. However, a silver lining emerged in the form of Annika. She became his lucky charm, a cute little princess who brought immense joy. The memory of holding her for the first time, with pink cheeks, brown eyes, and dark hair, wrapped in white, remained etched in his heart. On that day, he vowed to never let her shed tears for any reason.

Over the years, as he immersed himself in the world of business, the connection with Annika became strained. Maya's entry into the business sphere only deepened the chasm with his daughter. As for Gauri, Sowmya, and Sahil, he regretted not being there for them when they needed him, with his mother Aruna Vardhan Trivedi stepping in to provide the support he couldn't. Now, faced with the engagement of his favorite granddaughter, an event that transpired without her grandmother's presence and consent due to her pilgrimage to Kailash, he felt a profound sense of shame. The sudden turn of events led him to immerse himself even more in business, attempting to escape the nagging feeling in the corner of his heart—a persistent reminder of the injustice he had unknowingly done to Annika.

Harsh Vardhan, who had promised to shield his daughter from sorrows and worries, found himself responsible for her tears. Determined to rectify the situation, he resolved to have a heart-to-heart talk with Annika, a conversation that had been neglected for far too many years

***

The bright sun illuminated the sky, casting its warm glow on Trivedi Villa. Annika woke up the following morning with a pounding headache and body aches, remnants of a night filled with dancing and a bit too much alcohol for her tolerance.

Still groggy from sleep, she managed to open her eyes and immediately called out for some relief in the form of coffee, breakfast, and pain relievers.

"Ramu Kaka! Bring my black coffee and breakfast with aspirin now, Pleasee..." she shouted, her voice echoing through the quiet morning.

Details of how she reached her room the night before eluded her. After a refreshing shower, she found her requested items neatly arranged on a small table in the balcony. As she stepped out, the harmonious sounds of birds chirping in the garden, the gentle flow of water in the fountain, and the sweet scent of Jasmine flowers captivated her senses, drawing her into the embrace of nature.

Her fondness for Jasmine had grown over the years, sparked by the charming tale her Dadi had shared. The particular Jasmine plant in the garden was the first gift from her Dadaji to her Dadi, a story that Annika found endearing. Since then, Annika had taken it upon herself to care for the plant and expanded the garden with different varieties of Jasmine at Trivedi Villa. Even in Oberoi Mansion, she planted a Jasmine sapling near the pool, and Shivaay was entrusted with its care. Jasmine had become an integral part of her life, its essence a necessity.