35. The Brewing storm

"Breathtaking!" echoed a voice from behind, causing Annika to look up into the mirror. To her surprise, Shivaay stood at the entrance of the fitting room, his intense gaze ensnared by her reflection in the mirror.

"Shivaay! You're here!" Annika's eyes widened and she pivoted gracefully towards him.

"Excuse me, mam!" the junior designer excused herself from the chamber leaving the two alone.

"I thought you will not be coming." Annika said  as she carefully ascended down the raised platform she was standing on.

"Careful! The dress must be heavy!" Shivaay exclaimed as he quickly went near her and held her hands as she stepped down from the small stairs.

"Thanks!" Annika quickly withdrew her hands, a subtle flush warming her cheeks as she averted her gaze.

"Umm.. what I was saying..." Shivaay stumbled over his words, the room suddenly filled with a palpable tension, as if the air itself was holding its breath.

"You were not coming here today..." Annika said, her eyes searching Shivaay's with a hint of confusion.

"Yeah... Yeah! I was not... But, Mom.. yeah, Mom had called and informed me that you wanted me here," he replied, finally gaining his composure.

"What! Shivaay, no," Annika said, genuinely puzzled. Why on earth would she want him here, she wondered.

"Oh! She must be mistaken. So, I'll get going then," he said, a touch of uncertainty in his voice.

"Yeah! If you want to, that is."

"Yeah!  It's just better, I've some work too... Bye, Annika!" He turned around only to find Daksh standing there, accompanied by Tia and Mallika, both holding jewelry cases.

"Daksh!" Shivaay stood there, a hint of confusion lingering.

"Shivaay! Man! You're here!" Daksh said, coming forward and hugging him.

"What are you doing here?" Shivaay asked, still grappling with the unexpected turn of events.

"Shivaay... I... I came here..." Daksh tripped over his words, unable to reveal his true reason for being present. The revelation about picking up Nia seemed like a secret too delicate to share at the moment.

Annika, sensing his plight, came forward to help him out.

"Shivaay... Umm... I asked him to. I thought he could be of your company."

"But... I was not coming here, anyway," Shivaay said, his confusion deepening.

"Also, that is why he's here!" Mallika mumbled, rolling her eyes at the unfolding situation.

"Pardon me, please..." Shivaay turned to her.

"Shivaay... that is, since you aren't coming, we thought he could help us with what you like, as in colors and other stuff. Yeah!" Mallika improvised, providing a quick cover.

"Ohh... Okay! Annika, you could have just texted me if you wanted my inputs. Why bother him?" Shivaay turned to her, his expression a mix of amusement and mild exasperation.

"Right! Next time, Shivaay!" Annika simply nodded, playing along with the impromptu excuse.

"Shivaay, since you are here, it'd be better if I leave. See ya! Bye, Annika." Daksh seized the opportunity to exit the somewhat awkward situation.

"Sure, sure! Daksh... Can you just drop Nia at her place? She is just not well," Annika suggested, redirecting the conversation.

"Yeah! Sure. Why not?" He shrugged giving her a little smile.