1. Bittersweet Beginnings

Annika Vardhan Trivedi, nurtured the dream of becoming an independent woman while also contributing significantly to her father's business. Despite being too young to immerse herself directly into the complexities of the business world, her unwavering determination shaped her into a very capable individual. Completing her schooling with the highest grades, Annika embarked on her university journey, pursuing an undergraduate degree in business.

In contrast, Shivaay Singh Oberoi harbored aspirations of becoming a successful businessman and eventually taking the reins of the renowned Oberoi empire. However, the path to success was no easy feat for him. Despite being the son of Shakthi Singh Oberoi, the challenges posed by the two formidable business magnates, Tej Singh Oberoi and Shakthi Singh Oberoi, proved insurmountable. The perks of his lineage seemed inconsequential in the face of the ruthless and competitive nature of the business world his family dominated.

Understanding the importance of honing his skills before stepping into the intricate realm of business, Shivaay made a strategic decision. He chose to pursue his Business Studies at Yale, recognizing the need for a comprehensive education that extended beyond the privileges associated with his family name. 

***

"Bhaiyaaaaaaaaa!!! Annika didi and Gauri Didi are coming home today, this time we are not going to leave that Karan for messing up with me," Rudra exclaimed with an infectious excitement, his eyes gleaming.

"Ohh, that Lady Kumbakaran is coming, and is Saumya not coming?" Shivaay asked with a playful smirk, anticipating Rudra's reaction.

"Not, Kumbakaran Bhaiya! and yeah, I don't care about Saumya. She is anyways way too irritating." Rudra replied, feigning irritation while waving off Shivaay's teasing. "Where is O, bhaiya?"

"In the study, preparing for exams, Rudra," Shivaay replied, his attention already divided.

"Hai Rudy boy, and where is Om Shivaay?" Annika's voice chimed in as she entered the room, her presence adding a touch of liveliness.

"Well, hello to you too, Annika!" Shivaay rolled his eyes in mock exasperation, accustomed to her spirited entrances.

"Annika didi, O is in study and Gauri di..." Rudra started, but before he could finish, Gauri herself appeared.

"I'm here, Rudy. Hai Shivaay Bhaiyaa!" Gauri greeted, wrapping Rudra in a warm hug and acknowledging Shivaay with a smile.

"Where is Sowmya, Annika?" Shivaay inquired, noticing the absence of the youngest member of their close-knit group.

"On a trip, with her friends, Shivaay," Annika responded, her eyes sparkling with the joy of being together with the others.

As Gauri and Rudra left to bring Om, Annika made herself comfortable beside Shivaay. She began animatedly describing her first day at university, and Shivaay, always the patient listener, absorbed every detail with a smile.

They both know each other since they were little kids.

It was precisely twelve years ago when a nine-year-old Shivaay, with his signature seriousness even as a child, encountered the lively presence of a five-year-old Annika. She stood atop the couch where her father engaged in conversation with Shivaay's own father. Little did he know that this encounter would mark the beginning of a friendship that would span years.

Annika, a bundle of energy even at that tender age, was busy playfully messing up her father's hair as she perched on the couch. However, the mischief took an unexpected turn when her innocent eyes met Shivaay's. In an instant, her playful demeanor shifted, and she burst into tears, exclaiming that Shivaay resembled the blue-eyed monster from a bedtime story her mother used to tell.

The entire family erupted into laughter at the adorable mix-up, finding humor in the innocence of childhood imagination. However, young Annika's tears prompted a compassionate response from Shivaay. In an effort to console her, he offered his favorite Cinderella toy, a gesture that transformed a moment of confusion into the foundation of a lifelong bond.

From that day forward, Shivaay and Annika became inseparable. Their friendship blossomed, fueled by shared laughter, countless adventures, and the unwavering support that defined the pure essence of childhood.

***

This is the worst thing that could ever happen, Shakthi!" Tej roared, his frustration echoing through the room upon learning that his dream project had been handed over to their arch-rivals, the Singhania Groups.

"Relax, bhaisaab! There should be a way to come out of this," Shakthi tried to pacify his brother, recognizing the storm of emotions swirling within him.

"How could I relax, Shakthi! That was my dream for two damn years, and I could not do anything but see it going out of my hands!" Tej's frustration was palpable, the weight of the situation pressing heavily on him.

"Calm down, Tej. There is still a week left for the final announcement; let's do something," Jhanvi, ever the voice of reason, suggested in an attempt to soothe the tense atmosphere.

"Let's talk to Harsh bhaiya once, jethji," Pinky chimed in, offering a potential avenue for resolution.

The dream project of Tej Singh Oberoi in the construction field slipping into the hands of the Singhania family, courtesy of their merger with the Khuranas, had thrown the Oberois into a state of turmoil. The merger not only jeopardized Tej's aspirations but also positioned their rivals at an advantageous position in the business.

The only plausible solution to counter this setback lay in the partnership of the Oberois and Trivedis, two families currently dominating the business landscape. While the prospect of collaboration had its inherent advantages, it also came with its share of challenges and potential pitfalls.

In a twist of fate, a unique solution emerged – a strategic alliance through the marriage between the two families. This proposal aimed not only to unite them personally but also to forge a formidable force in the business realm, reclaiming what had seemingly slipped through Tej's fingers.

Annika and Shivaay had never envisioned the concept of marriage at the tender ages of eighteen and twenty-one, especially with each other, their dearest friend.

The news of their impending engagement had left Annika in a state of reluctance, prompting her to lock herself in her room for the past three days, resolutely refusing to face the unfolding situation.

Shivaay, seeking solace amidst the chaos, found refuge in his Dadi, who, too, was against the unexpected turn of events. "I don't want my grandchildren to fall into the pit of a loveless marriage," Dadi declared, her concern echoing the sentiments of the children.

Despite the opposition, a series of events unfolded, leading to the unavoidable engagement of Annika Vardhan Trivedi and Shivaay Singh Oberoi. The prospect of marriage loomed ahead, casting a shadow over the once carefree friendship they shared.

However, both Annika and Shivaay, bound by circumstances beyond their control, made a silent vow that their friendship would remain unscathed.