[Turmoil]

After about three seconds, I push myself off of him and practically run to his car. My face burns bright red, and confusion reigns in my head.

I have no idea what came over me. I've been certain that we are just friends, and I don't want anything more than that. But if I don't, why did I kiss him? Why did it feel like that?

All these questions spin through my head as I frantically look for a way home that doesn't involve Adrian.

"Jordan, why did you do that?" His voice floats through the darkening yard.

My words catch in my throat, as it seems very dry, coming out strangled. "I don't know."

"...would you like me to drive you home?"

I think for a moment. The reservation is a decent distance from my house. But the weather isn't bad. Although the threat of Victoria is still there.

My choices; either spend half an hour or so in a confined space with Adrian, while I am still very confused. Or walk an hour or more back to my house, with the possibility of being horribly murdered by a vampire who hates me more than anything.

"No, thanks. I'll walk."

In fact, I already am. My feet have already taken me to the road, where my path home is shrouded in darkness.

"Jordan, its far too dangerous. With Victoria out there, and nothing but a cell phone, there's no way I am letting you walk home alone," he says, catching up to me far too quickly for my liking.

"I've come across Victoria before. She won't touch me," I say.

"Why not? She tried her luck back there," Adrian counters, still walking beside me.

"Because she knows that Jasper-" I cut off, suddenly coming to a standstill on the road.

"What is it?"

"That's what she's doing," I mutter, a dawning realisation bringing mounting horror with it. "This isn't about me."

Adrian frowns, his dark brows pulling together. "What?"

"Don't you get it?!" I exclaim, rounding on him with manic energy. "She doesn't care about me, she never has. It was James that wanted us--Bella and I."

My mind races as I pace. The words coming unbidden as I think out loud, not really caring for anyone's presence.

"But all Victoria wants is revenge for Jasper and Edward killing James, her mate. Killing me or Bella isn't enough, that isn't what she's interest in. Victoria wants Jasper and Edward to feel the same pain she felt when they killed her mate."

"She's using you to get to them," Adrian says, catching on as his eyes widen.

"I have to warn them," I say, beginning to walk towards the highway. "I have to."

"Wait, wait, wait," Adrian says, running to block my path by standing in front of me. "You just kissed me. Why do you have to tell Jasper anything?"

My teeth set at his tone, as he makes no effort to stay his disgust. "You could never understand, Adrian. And never will. This effects both of us."

"He left you, Jordan. He left you here, and he broke up with you," Adrian says hardly, his eyes burning. "I don't get how your death effects him at all."

"Exactly. You don't get it. And I don't expect you to. The bond that Jasper and I have is stronger than anything you could imagine," I say bitingly, an odd disconnection from him coming to my chest. "He may have broken up with me, but that is not enough to truly break us apart."