[The Party]

Jasper and I walk through the hall hand in hand. The students got over it a while ago. But one or two people still stare or rather, glare, as we go by.

One in particular is called Mason West, and whenever we pass him, no matter where; he will glare daggers at Jasper; and never misses an opportunity to flirt or attempt to woo me.

For some reason, on this day, it irritates Jasper more than usual, and he stops in the middle of the hall.

"What's wrong?" I ask, catching on to his tense body language.

He turns to me and smiles, but it has a hint of something I don't recognise behind it. "Can I be mildly inappropriate for a few seconds?"

I raise an eyebrow curiously, but smile in consent. He backs us up a bit, closer to the lockers. Then leans in and crashes his lips against mine.

The passion behind it takes me by surprise, knocking the breath out of me. But by now it's a natural reflex to latch on him.

It lasts a matter of seconds, but when he pulls back--his eyes a shade darker than before--I'm slightly unsteady on my feet from lack of air.

"What was that for?" I ask weakly.

"Someone needed to be reminded you're taken," Jasper growls, and I hear a faint hint of possessiveness behind his words.

It doesn't bother me, because he doesn't show it often. And his jealousy only flares up on very specific occasions.

My eyes flick to Mason for a split second. He's red faced and tense, then he slams his locker door and marches off.

"I really don't know where he gets the idea I like him," I say, puzzled as we try and find Alice. "We've barely exchanged more than six words outside of his atrocious attempts at flirting."

Finally, we spot Edward and Bella as Alice vaults the stairs and lands in front of them; eagerness pouring out of her as she beams at them.

"Subtle," I mutter, earning a silent chuckle from Jasper.

"Happy birthday!" Alice says, engulfing Bella in a hug.

"Shh!" Bella exclaims, hugging her back.

Alice hands her a neatly wrapped present.

"I thought I said no presents?" Bella says, not ungratefully.

"I've already seen you open it, and guess what? You love it." Alice laughs. "You're going to wear it tonight. Our place."

Bella hesitates, looking awkward.

"Come on, please? It'll be fun." Alice says.

I nudge Jasper, and he smiles slightly before focusing on Bella. Even I feel the wave of enthusiasm flow through the air.

"Okay. Alright." Bella gives in, suddenly smiling.

Alice giggles, letting out an excited squeal. "Great! I'll see you at seven!"

She turns around and nimbly dances over to us, where she beams at Jasper with a knowing look.

"Jasper, no fair with the mood control thing," Bella says, catching on.

Alice laughs again, while Jasper smiles with humour dancing in his eyes. "Sorry, Bella. Happy..."

He stops at Bella's expression, which looks as if she's about to get hit by a bat.

"Never mind," he says, and tugs me along the corridor with him, Alice by our side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~