[Painful Partings]

Hey, guys! Thanks so much for sticking through to book two! What do you think so far? Is there anything you want to see? Oh! And, what do you think of the cover? I made it myself, so...
-
-
-

When Bella and I get back, Edward is waiting by the side of the house; still in the clothes he wore to the party.

I give him a dirty glare, then nod to Bella as I go up to my room. I will admit to spying, until they disappeared into the forest.

A ball of panic explodes in my stomach as I realise that he is serious. I've been holding onto a feeble hope all day that maybe he changed his mind. Apparently not.

I grab an envelope from Charlie's drawer in the bedroom, then launch at my desk, reaching for a pen.

It's a simple letter, nothing like what I wrote a few months ago. But before I'm finished, a thought crosses my mind, and I reach into my drawer.

The paper stack is much thicker than before, but it's contents are much the same, besides a few change in outfits.

I put them in with the letter, along with a few copied pictures from our dance. A lump grows in my throat as I finish, staring at the open envelope lying on my desk.

For the past few months, my life has felt perfect. Now, the idea of waking up alone, not being greeted by a warm smile and the southern twang I've grown so used to, almost physically hurts.

His absence will effect me more than I thought. But I'll get through it. That doesn't mean I will stop loving him. There's no way I could ever forget what I feel for him. What I mean, is I will wait patiently for his return.

Because Bella is going to need me, more than ever once Edward leaves. I need to focus on her.

So I seal the letter away, and with it, my heart.

Ping!

I pick my phone up, read Jasper's text and walk slowly down the stairs and down to the side of the house; envelope clutched tightly in my hand.

He's waiting there, dressed just as smartly as the first day we met. The little sunlight that is peeking through the clouds glimmers off his hair, giving him a halo. Before he sees me, the expression on his face is dark and sad, but lights up when I come around the corner.

He accepts my hug with opens arms that close around me and draw me in to his chest. We don't speak, already knowing the words.

"I would stay, Jordan..."

"I will not tear you away from your family. It would make you so depressed, I won't see that." I laugh a little tearfully, smiling. "Just promise me you won't go find some hot Latin girl, or something?"

He wipes the one stray tear on my cheek, the corners of his mouth twitching. "No woman could ever compare to you, darlin'. You've nothing to worry about."

"Well, then. Make sure you eat enough, and keep covered up," I say, tugging the collar of his shirt.

"I will," he says quietly.

I nod, letting my hand curl around his neck. "Good. I don't want to hear anything about a guy causing a car crash by dazzling all the drivers."

Jasper chuckles lightly. "Should I write these down?"

"You have an edetic memory, don't you?"

It's taking a lot of effort not to cry, but I don't want to make this hurt more than it has to.

"You'll keep in contact, yeah? Postcards, texts, letters, I don't care, just don't disappear," I say frantically, making sure not to look away from his eyes for a second.

"Of course," he says, cupping the hand I have on his face.

Jasper leans forward, and we close our eyes for a second as our foreheads touch. This is the closest we will be for who knows how long, so I commit it to memory.

"I will come back," he promises, stroking my cheek with his thumb.

"Sealed with a righteous kiss," I say, unable to keep the smile from my face at the mockery.

But we crash our lips together nonetheless, desperately holding on to each other for as long as possible.

I drop the envelope into his pocket, freeing my other hand, and allowing it to run through his hair.

My tongue savours the taste of the venom coating his teeth, and the feel of his rock hard lips gently pushing mine apart.

As a lone tear slides down my face, Jasper is gone, whispering one last declaration of love that is carried back on the wind.

"I love you too..." I sigh, working through the lump in my throat.

Feeling lost, I wander into the trees after Bella. She should have come back by now, and the sun will go down in an hour.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been searching for ages, and it's starting to get dark. If Bella is out here, she'll be freezing.

Charlie texted me, asking about my whereabouts. I said I'm looking for Bella, and then I learnt he has a whole search team out for her.

I freeze, hearing a low, deep breathing near the tree beside me. It's a big presence, and I edge around the tree to see Bella lying curled up on the ground.

With one of the biggest wolves I've ever seen standing over her.

We make eye contact for a second, then I do something incredibly stupid. I throw a log at it's head.

It steps back, and then gives me a look that doesn't indicate an animal brain. But it runs off into the forest anyway.

"Bella? Bella!"

She doesn't stir, only mumbles incoherently as I roll her over. Her skin is freezing, like I predicted.

I gather her up in my arms and lift her as I start walking back the way I came. Thankfully, I've got quite a good memory of this forest, and so the ground change is enough to help me navigate home.

Maybe half an hour later, I'm sweating and my arms are shaking. I finally see the trees thin as light pours in from Charlie's police cruiser.

He has so many people here. Some of them are even from the Reservation. I spot Jacob first, due to his long dark hair. But Sam Uley, Harry Clearwater and a few others are here as well.

"Charlie," Jacob says, spotting me.

Charlie turns, then runs over. "Bella!"

"She's okay, she's fine." I adjust my grip as I walk into the house.

But I don't miss the glance between Sam and Harry Clearwater.