[Feeling Empty]

I lie Bella down on her bed, and Charlie proceeds to fuss over her for half an hour while I sit by her window.

After a while, he is finally convinced of Bella's health, and glances at me a few times from the side.

"...Harry said the Cullens left town."

"Yeah...Carlisle got a better job offer somewhere else, I can't remember where," I say, not raising my gaze from the floor.

"Edward and Jasper went with him?"

"Mhm..."

"Did they leave you two in the woods?" He asks, anger flaring in his voice.

"No. Edward walked off with Bella, but Jasper came a few minutes later..." I say, looking over at Bella's still form.

"Edward left Bella in the woods alone?"

I don't want to dump him in it, no matter how pissed I am at him. But my silence seems to answer Charlie's question anyway.

"I can't believe him!" He hisses.

"Neither can I." It comes out as a disgusted scoff, but the state of Bella crushes any guilt I would have had.

"What about Jasper?" He asks, but a bit softer.

My chest tightens involuntary and I take in a stiff breath. "He said he'd keep in contact, because he doesn't want to go."

His eyebrow raises. "Really? Huh. Knew I liked that kid."

A brief smile passes over my face, but no laugh comes up with it. A weirdly strong feeling of fatigue washes over me, and I rub my eyes.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah...no," I grimace and push myself up off the chair.

Bella stirs, mumbling in distress as she twists under the covers. Charlie reaches out to shake her awake, but I catch his hand.

"What is it?" He asks, frowning.

"Don't wake her up like that. You'll freak her out," I say, and very carefully slide onto the bed next to her.

I hum a short melody, one our mother used to sing to us as children. But I could never pronounce the words like Bella.

She settles, her mumbling becoming quieter and quieter until it stops altogether.

"How'd you do that?" Charlie asks, amazed.

"It's always soothed her when she has nightmares," I shrug. "Wake me when she does, would ya?"

I sleepily stumble through to the bedroom, feeling my body fall asleep as it hits the mattress. As everything calms, the words I wrote to Jasper are the last things I think of before darkness takes me.

Dearest Jasper,

I know you'd stay with me, if I asked. But I could not have you here without your family, alone in that huge house.

I'll miss you badly, there's no point lying. I can already feel it growing in my heart.

I hope it doesn't make you doubt my feelings, because nothing could change how much I love you, Jasper. Please, believe that.

As long as I can hear your voice every so often I am sure I will be fine. But I look forward to when I can be in your arms again.

Have fun, wherever you are. Just...be careful.

And don't forget me, will ya?

Love you,

J. S.