Chapter Sixty Five

Start from the beginning

"Stop," drawled Kevin to Lex. "You need to continue welcoming guest. Don't leave your position at the door."

Lex pressed his lips together, turned and went back to his spot at the door. "I swear you can't read the atmosphere," sighed Lex.

Kevin tilted his head at Midas, "Why don't you come up?"

"Are you inviting me," asked Midas with a tight smile.

Kevin narrowed his eyes as he walked down the stairs to stare intently at Midas. "Why would you need to be invited to come up the stairs?"

Midas shook his reddish brown hair with a chuckle, "I apologize but its formality being that I wasn't invited."

"Really," drawled Kevin as he stared up the five stairs to the entrance of the church. "I've never heard of that before." Kevin smirked as he stepped off the last step and came toe to toe with Midas. "When did Nah'Byians begin that custom?" When Midas puffed up his chest but failed to answer Kevin turned to stare blankly at Elisa. "When did this become a custom?"

"I'm not sure," frowned Elisa thoughtfully. "Midas is the only person I can ever remember needing an invite everywhere he went."

"Really," nodded Kevin as he slowly turned to stare at Midas dubiously. "Midas where are you from?"

Midas shifted from left to right as he tilted his head to stare down his nose at Kevin, "That isn't your concern and neither is my conversation with Lex."

Kevin shoved his hands into his dark gray slack and sighed, "You are right." Kevin turned to go back up the stairs, "And being that your name isn't on the list you are not welcomed."

"I can still attend as Lex's guest if he and Elisa will forgive me," whined Midas with a petulant pout.

Kevin turned back to look at Midas bewildered. "So you only want to come to the wedding?"

"Yes," nodded Midas enthusiastically.

Kevin shook his head toward Elisa and Lex to stop them from commenting. "Fine," smiled Kevin amiably as he extended his hand toward Midas. "You can come with me."

"Really," responded Midas enthusiastically as he reached out to take Kevin's hand.

Kevin lips turned upward as he took Midas's hand and propelled him up the stairs. Kevin's expression went from one of amusement to faux bewildered when Midas seemed to fall back as if he'd been knocked back.

"What in hades was that," cried Lex as he started down the stairs to help Midas from the cobblestone path at the bottom of the stairs.

Kevin raised his hand toward Lex and shook his head, "If you go from these steps you are a dead man."

"Oh gods," sobbed Elisa with a forlorn expression at Kevin. "He's going to kill you! I told you to stop talking back to him."

A burst of laughter escaped Kevin's lips as he stared at Elisa. "I wasn't referring to me." Kevin pointed to Midas, "I was referring to he who cannot pass."

"What," exclaimed both Elisa and Lex confused by Kevin's cryptic words.

Kevin smirked as he finally stepped onto the cobblestone path, "It's been a long time."

"Obviously not long enough," grumbled Midas as he pushed himself to his knees. Lex stared daggers at Kevin, "So I'll take it your real name isn't Kenneth -."

"What's going on," asked Lex moving down the stairs.

"I told you don't come," yelled Kevin without taking his eyes off Midas. "Go into the church and close the doors behind you!"