Chapter Twenty Three

High Council Meeting Room - Gold District

"This meeting is about to be very interesting," remarked Ebony as she winked toward Pharris.

Kayla released a sigh when she was Pharris slight nod.  "On gods on high," moaned Kayla, "what have you concocted with the ninth seat?"

Ebony ran her hands over her swelling stomach and smiled,  "You'll see but act shocked."

Kayla shook her head as the majority of the chairs around the table filled.  "I just hope whatever you are doing isn't going to get me in trouble with Lucas."

Ebony rolled her eyes as a small smile hovered over her lips.  "Kayla sometimes we need to think about ourselves and stop letting Lucas and Jacob control us."

"Yeah okay," respond Kayla sarcastically, "you say that now.  Let's see what you're saying when they are both standing in our face."

"Trust me," giggled Ebony, she turned slightly in her chair to pat Kayla on the knee.

Kayla stared at Ebony on mock horror before making her face go blank.

"Where is the third seat," asked Madison as she tilted back in the tenth seat and looked around the table.  Her eyes briefly flickered on Ebony and Kayla before she turned her attention to Pharris.   "From what I read this little conversation pertains to him."

Pharris smirked as he rocked back and forth in his chair.  "The newly titled Lord Kaelen Matthew Ward is currently off world with His Grace Lucas and Lord Jacob."

"Why so formal," asked Isaiah as he eyed Pharris.

Pharris cocky smile fell as he stared into the midnight blue eyes of Isaiah.  "I am showing them the respect they deserve."

"Your attitude makes me highly suspicious," drawled Acadia as she arched a black eyebrow at him.  "Not one of your request for a meeting seems to go well so I think you should get started while you can."

Pharris lips curled down as he tapped his index finger against the granited table.  "Every meeting I've called has been necessary and -."

"Has always involved Kaelen," smiled Ebony.  "I'm very much interested to see what you wish to discuss this time."

"Harmph," snorted Pharris as he looked down at his fingers.  "This isn't going to take long."  Pharris brown eyes twinkled as they stared at Ebony. "With you expecting Lord Jacob's child plus already being the mother of two I believe you should gracefully step down from your position as fourth chair and allow someone with less bias have your seat."

Ebony tried in vain to scowl as she stared at Pharris before she glanced around the table.  "Does everyone feel this way?"

"Of course not," responded Wanda, eighth chair, in a smoothing voice.

Acadia sighed, "It is very obvious that you will co-chair Jacob when he takes over so I'm sure some feel you being here now is a conflict of interest."  Acadia lips pursed as she tried not to smile.

"Everyone here is a conflict of interest," mumbled Kayla as she rolled her eyes her lips flattening into a straight line .  "Pharris is nothing but a lapdog barking incessently at people from the lap of his master."

"And who is my master," snapped Pharris.  His eyes narrowed as he glared at Kayla.

"I would say Lucas or Jacob but you seem to like to get on their bad side too much," snorted Kayla as she shook her head.  "They placed you here and you have the nerve to try to make these types of moves while they are gone."