Chapter 21

“C-Charlie? You look just like Charlie.” She nervously smiles at me. “Yeah, that’s what I’ve been told. My name’s Jaedyn.” All I can do is stare. She looks so much like her mother. She has a few of my features, but she’s mostly an identical twin to her mother. “Jack, I’d like for you to meet your daughter.” I can hear Max mumble, “Inhuman act, huh?” That old man. She holds out her hand. I feel like I’m looking at a ghost. Oh Jack! Get a grip!

I finally shake her hand. “I-I’m not sure what to say.” I wouldn’t be surprised if she didn’t either. She chuckles a little. “I don’t either. This is all new to me. I just found out today that I was adopted.” After she says that, she frowns. “What’s wrong?” She looks at Max and then back at me. “Uh, I’m not sure if I should say anything.” I turn and look at Max. “What’s going on Max?” He looks at her and nods. “It’s fine.” She sighs. “Okay. Well, the scientist ‘friend’ he told you about. Well, he had my parents pay him five-hundred thousand pounds for me when I was born and now I think he is trying to get more money from them.” She lets out another sigh. How could he do something like that? He got a lot of money from them and has the balls to demand more from them? Thinking about that just makes me really mad.

“Are you sure?” She lowers her head and after a minute or so, she looks back up at me. “Yes. I am sure. I overheard my dad talking to someone on his mobile. He was yelling at whoever to not threaten him and he didn’t care about their agreement anymore.” I guess I have an angry expression because she looks a little scared. I wonder if she’s making it up or maybe she really is telling the truth. I didn’t say anything. Maybe I should because her facial expression changed from scared to annoyed.

“Just so you know. All I wanted was to meet you and maybe get to know you, but if you have no intentions of getting to know me, than it’s your loss and I won’t bother you ever again.” I am confused at first, then realize she was talking to me. “Do you think I don’t want to get to know you? I had no idea I had a daughter. If I had known sooner, I would’ve been in your life, gotten to know you.” Max made a scoff sound and I looked back at him. “Maybe, but we all know you have been ‘too busy’ saving the world to care about anyone besides yourself.” I turn fully towards Max.

Don’t even start that.” Max stands up. “Oh? How’s Gwen and Anwen? Do you still see them or talk to them?” I lower my head. No, I haven’t. It’s been six months. “Uh, who’s Gwen and Anwen?” Max gives Jaedyn an angry look. I have never seen him give that look to anyone…Except Derek. Jaedyn turns and walks out of Max’s office. I could hear her say “Let’s go.” Who is she talking to? She opens the door and leaves.

“What the hell was that about?” I don’t understand this man some times. “I was meaning to give you that look, not her. Now she probably hates me.” I get he’s mad at me, but he should be more aware of his facial expressions and who he gives them to. “Well, do you come off harder than you are.” Max frowns. “Do I?” I scoff. “Yes.” I turn a little. “I’ll go after her and talk to her. I’ll let her know you aren’t as mean as you look.” We both laugh. “Thank you Jack. I’m glad you want to get to know your daughter.” I smile at him. “Me too. I just don’t know how.” I frown a little thinking about how I am going to make up for lost time. I walk out of Max’s office.

I get to the front doors, walk out and see her get into a car with a guy. That must’ve been the person she was talking to. They drive off. I’m sure I’ll be able to catch up to them and talk to her. I get into my car and follow them. After a few minutes they stop. They must be hungry. They just stopped at the nearest food place.

I watch them go inside before I get out of my car. I take my time getting to the door. I don’t want her trying to leave before I get the chance to talk to her. I finally get to the door and walk in. I look around and see that Jaedyn is looking at me. I walk over to them. “May I?” I point to the chair across from Jaedyn. She shakes her head and I sit. “Why did you leave?” She stares at her food. “I am just tired of people being rude and hateful to me. The look that Max gave me…well, it’s a bit hard to explain.” I nod. “Yeah, he gives that look sometimes. He doesn’t have anything against you…you’re his great-granddaughter.

She doesn’t say anything, so I take it that she’s reconsidering…maybe. She begins eating her lunch and still doesn’t say a word. I still hang out, waiting for her to ask me something or say something, anything to me. The stare at her. It’s hard taking my eyes away from her. She looks so much like Charlie. “Sorry. You just look so much like your mum.” She nods. “It’s okay. I’m just not used to someone staring at me.” I smile at her.

“Well, I hate to cut this short. Believe me, I really do want to get to know you, but I have to get back to work. Here is my number if you want to talk or meet up again or whatever.” She takes the card I’m handing her and nods. “Sure. I’d love to get together some time. I’d like to know more about you and my mum.” I smile at her again, nod and then get up to leave. I shake her guy friend’s hand and then leave.

I am driving back to Max’s house and get to the driveway when my mobile rings. I don’t recognize the number, but I answer anyway. “Hello.” I can hear someone breathing. “Iris is back and they killed Peter.” She began to cry. “Where are you?” She doesn’t take long to answer. “I’m in the alleyway next to the building where we had lunch. They said they were going to ‘Take care of Max.’ Please don’t let them kill him!” I speed off towards her. My tires squeal a little when I turned and sped off. “Alright. Don’t move.” I hang up and drive faster.

As I drive towards Jaedyn, I call Max. “Hello?” I sigh. “Max. Jaedyn just called me. Someone killed Peter and hurt her. She said they are going after you. Get to safety NOW!” He gasps a little. “Alright. Where should I go?” I think. Where? Oh! “My hideout. You’ve been there before. Do you remember where it’s at?” He mumbles. “Yes. See you there.” I hang up. I pull up and see Jaedyn. “Alright.” I hang up and get out as fast as I can.

I bend down next to Jaedyn. “Are you alright?” She shakes her head. I put my hands on her cheeks. It looks like someone hit her a few times. I flinch when he touches my sore cheek. “I’m sorry.” I use a knife and cut the plastic zip tie that is binding her hands together. “What about Max?” I smile. “He’s alright. I called him and told him what happened. He’s going to meet us at a secure location.” She nods. I help her up and into my car. “Did you get a good look at any of them?” She shakes her head. “No. I was blindfolded the entire time.” I nod. “Alright. Let’s get you to safety.” I start the car and drive off.

After driving for some time, we arrive at my hideout. It’s an abandoned building. “Where are we?” I chuckle. “This is my hideout. I know it doesn’t look like much on the outside, but it’s much nicer on the inside.” I smile at her. “Of course it is.” I laugh. “Yeah, but I like it. I’ve been using this place for a very long time.” When we get out, I look over and see her begin to cry. She must be overwhelmed with everything that’s gone on and they killed her friend.

I walk over to her and put my arms around her. “There, there. You’re alright.” She started to really cry. “It-it’s not me.” I sigh. “Is it that Peter guy you were with?” She nods. “It’ll be alright. I’m sure they were just saying that. They could be holding him hostage or something.” She looks up at me with a frightened look. “We’ll get him back.” She nods again. “Okay.” She takes a deep breath and relaxes a little.