Chapter 11

For the first time since the holiday island was established, it was raining. The sun was hiding behind endless blankets of thick black cloud. The island had lost count of how long it had been plunged into an endless abyss of the undead.

With every dig with the shovel, Erin's heart burnt a little bit more. The holes she made in the sand were soon replaced by rain and more sand. "It's no use," she huffed. She never thought a day would come where she had to bury someone she had only just met, but felt like she had known for a lifetime. She had tested countless times for a pulse, she even held a mirror underneath his nose to look out for exhalation. Nothing. Aaron was definitely dead. 

"Maybe we should just dig further inland," Bella suggest. She was knelt beside Erin, while Quinn stood by with a machete. With Erin's dad's machete. 

"Too risky," Quinn admitted. Even being as fearless as he was, he knew that wasn't an option. Erin avoided making eye contact with either of them. 

"Well we have to do something," Bella said, "We can't just leave his corpse here. What if he...you know..." she looked awkwardly at Quinn. A deep silence fell.

"You mean if he becomes a zombie?" Erin grunted. Quinn also knew what Bella was going to say, but neither of  them wanted to be the ones to say it. "Let's throw him into the sea. That way, no one can have him,". 

Bella nodded before helping Erin drag the body. They passed the Waltzers on the pier, and trudged right to the and of the splintering wood. 

"What if he floats?" Bella asked. Quinn was one step ahead. He grabbed some seaweed from when they were on the beach, and a few stones. He was tying them to Aaron's body. There was one extra long piece of seaweed with an empty cola bottle tied to the end of it. The two girls were confused.

"So we know where he is," he smiled. They just went along with it. Quinn stepped away and Erin stepped forward. 

With a tear barely escaping from her eye, she picked up Aaron's corpse and pushed it off the pier and into the water. The stones made thumping noises as they trailed after the body, making a splash before they sunk.

"I'll always remember you, Aaron Hale," Erin sobbed, wiping her bitter tears away with her jumper sleeve. The rain continued to pour as the three stood on the pier. Erin secretly hoped that she would see the boy she loved swim up to the surface, fighting the weight of the stones. But no. She had to accept that Aaron was never coming back. 

Erin felt a hand on her shoulder. "We should go back to the ride," Bella whispered. Erin just needed one more minute to let go. But she knew she could never. She stood up straight and staggered back to the Waltzers, a few steps in front of the other two. She was nearing the back of the Waltzers.

"ERIN!" Bella shouted. Erin peered behind her. Bella was knelt by Quinn who was lying motionless on the floor.

Erin turned and ran at Bella. "What happened?" she interrogated. Bella looked uncontrollably worried.

"I-I don't know," she stuttered. "He just yelped in pain and collapsed," she hesitated. "He was holding his arm, where he sliced himself the other day,"

"He's really pale," Erin stated. Bella fumbled with his shirt sleeve, pushing it up to reveal a blood-stained bandage. Quickly, she tore away the bandage. "Ew," Erin gagged. "That's not a slice," she whispered. "It's a bite!"

"No," Bella gasped. She was in a state of disbelief.

Quinn's body was jerking, like he was having a fit. His eyes were becoming a blood red colour. His teeth were growing outwards, splitting off from each other, poking in all directions while his skin was becoming pale. Bella and Erin backed away in fear. Erin slipped the machete from Quinn's grasp. 

"What are you doing?" Bella shouted.

"What else is there to do?" Erin cried. Bella leapt forward, ripping the machete from Erin. 

"We CAN'T kill him!" Bella scratched out at Erin, while Erin was struggling to push Bella off her. 

"Face it, Bella. We don't kill him, we die!" 

"Then we can die! I won't let you kill him, he saved my life!" 

"You kill him then!" 

"NO!" 

The island was plunged into another blackout. Erin pushed Bella off her and scuffled to her feet, being weary of anything that might kill her. 

Bella lay on the floor, breathing heavily in fear. She held the machete firmly in her hand, ready to swipe if the situation demanded it. 

The lights were back again.

Bella let out a high pitch squeal, pointing speechlessly at the emptiness in front of her. Erin followed her finger. "Where the hell is Quinn?" Bella shouted, fear and sadness invading her voice.

"You bitch," Erin whispered, snatching the machete from Bella. "You can bet wherever he is, he is plotting to get us," she grunted, shooting Bella an evil glare. Erin stormed away from Bella.

"Erin. I'm s-sorry," she whined, grasping Erin's shoulder. Erin just shook her off and continued towards the Waltzers, her dad's machete in her strong grip. She wasn't going down without a fight. 

Deep in confusion, depression and fear, Bella followed. Dragging her feet that felt like they were 100 pounds each. Where could Quinn have gotten to that quickly? Then a realisation dawned on her. The first place he probably would go. 

"ERIN!" she cried. She was too late. She heard Erin's scream from inside the Waltzers. "Erin! I'm coming!" she shouted, picking up speed. She had let Erin down once, she wasn't going to do it again.