"It actually gets worse" Damon tugged Veronica and she walked with him away from John.

"How could it possibly get any worse?" John asked exasperated.

-

Standing alongside Damon, Veronica was looking as bad as her twin. She subconsciously brushed invisible wrinkles from her dress.

She watched sadly as Elena placed two roses on each of her parents graves, you never fully recover from losing a parent

As if feeling Veronica's gaze Elena turned and they made eye contact, her face was red and blotchy from what Veronica could only presume from hours of crying.

Unable to hold her gaze for much longer, Veronica looked at her fingers and began fiddling with her ring.

Feeling a small tug she looked up at Damon's face, it was gaunt-looking with a tight chest she allowed him to pull her, they walked towards the exit of the graveyard.

"I'm gonna head back to the house" Stefan said from behind the twins, neither turned around to look at him.

"I think we'll skip the coffee and tea cakes" Damon said looking down at his sister.

"Damon, she needs us right now" Stefan said softly.

"All of us"

"You should go" Veronica said pushing herself away from Damon slightly.

"She needs you too Veronica" Stefan replied with furrowed eyebrows.

"No she doesn't" the brunette laughed sourly. "She needs you my dear brothers"

Ignoring his sisters words Damon re-adjusted the grip he had on Veronica and finally turned to look at their younger brother.

"And then what's the plan, Stefan?" He shot back unconvinced.

"The curse is broken" Stefan replied feebly.

"How does one go about killing an all-powerful wolf-vamp and his two-faced older brother?" Veronica grimaced at Damon's sharp voice.

"I have no idea" Stefan said looking slightly defeated.

"We need to get an idea. Fast" Damon said staring at Stefan with a hard glare.

Taking in Damon's words Stefan spoke again, barely above a whisper.

"I'm not gonna let Elena lose anybody else"

Veronica's eyes stung as salty tears made their way to the surface. Biting down on her cheek to keep her tears at bay she looked down once more.

"I wouldn't make any promises" Damon said in a strained voice.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Stefan asked, his eyebrows furrowed as dread filled his entire being.

Rolling up his blazer sleeve Damon looked past Stefan as he spoke.

"Tyler Lockwood bit me" looking sideways at his sister she copied his actions.

"Bit us"

"More of a nip really, but there is it" She said as tears silently rolled down her rosey cheeks. She could faintly taste the saltiness of her tears on her lips.

"We'll find something" Stefan said completely devastated.

"A cure" his eyes lit up momentarily but vanished as his eyes landed on his siblings.

"There's no cure Stefan" Damon said with a blank look on his face masking how deeply saddened and frightened he was.

"We kept Elena human right?" He asked the twins who still refused to meet his eye.

"We found a way when there was no way" his voice cracked pleadingly. A fresh set of tears ran down Veronica's face, her chest tightened as she held back a sob.

"Hey" Stefan said lifting his sisters face by her chin with his index finger.

"I will do this" he told the twins stubbornly.

"You wanna do something for me? Keep this from Elena" Damon spat harshly.

"Last thing she needs is more graves to mourn" with that Damon left, Veronica's arm hung pathetically by her side.

"Save him Stefan, save him first, please"

Tears built up in Stefan's eyes as he watched his sisters heart break once more.

He felt as though he could hear every little piece of her heart shattering in her chest.

"No! I'm saving you both!" He choked out stubbornly.

Veronica only smiled at her little brother.

"You have grown into such a fine man Stefan" she caressed his cheek with her gloved hand.

"I will always love you little brother. You and Damon need each other. Save him Stefan, for me"

And with that he watched his sister follow Damon's footsteps and leave, touching his cheek where her warm hand was Stefan wiped his eyes and bit his fist to keep from crying out after her.

————
So I'm horrible with updating but I'm currently writing my final grade 12 exams and stressing balls. But I felt this was way overdue - quite flat really but I needed to get it done. Thank you all those who have stayed with this book & continued to read it despite any errors - I thank you all ❤️