TWENTY FOUR

"I saved his life back in the forties, found him dying of a war wound outside VA hospital" Marcel told Klaus and Veronica as they followed him down the staircase.

"He'd kill for me, and die for me"

''How romantic'' Veronica quipped from behind the duo, ignoring the glare sent her way by Klaus.

''Plus, that boy can play the trumpet like you would not believe! Maybe I'll see if he can play a little tonight at the party'' Marcel smiled before quickly turning back around to face Klaus and Veronica.

''You're coming, right?'' he asked looking between the duo seriously.

''How can I miss my chance to meet the city councilman as he accepts your gigantic charitable donation?'' Klaus smiled sarcastically at Marcel.

''He's a shmuck, but he lets us do our thing in exchange for certain community services, like keeping our fangs out of the locals'' he sighed looking at the people walking by.

''Listen, about you brother, I would love to help you out, but Thierry is right. My guys are on edge, they see the Original family moving in, and I wont even mention Veronica,'' Marcel and Klaus shared knowing glance with the brunette.

''Vampires dying, it makes them nervous. If I hand Elijah back now, it might give the wrong impression about who's really in charge here''

After a brief silence amongst the trio Marcel continued, "you know what I mean''

Veronica sent Marcel a tight-lipped smile, ''you understand, we had to ask''

-

''You need to push the knife in deeper'' Veronica hissed at Joshua, the vampire her and Klaus had 'borrowed' from Marcel was hung loosely from the basement's rafters.

He stabbed Marcel's man once more, ''pathetic'' Veronica mumbled swiping the knife from his hand with a growl.

In one swift motion the strung up man was nearly cut in half, ''He's still not bleeding our fast enough'' she huffed wiping her bloody hands off on Joshua.

Veronica handed the knife back to him and moved to grab the pitchfork.

Klaus pocketed his phone and turned to an agitated Veronica, his eyes softened slightly at how hard she was trying to drain Marcel's vampire of any, and all of the vervain in his system.

Klaus put his hand over Veronica's, ''I'll handle this, I need you to help Rebekah'' he smiled softly working the pitchfork from her vice-like grip.

The warmth of his breath on the back of Veronica's neck sent shivers down her spine, this was the closest they had been to each other in weeks.

Clearing her throat she stepped away from the Original, ''of course, let her know I'm on my way''

''Thanks, love'' he said to her but she was already gone.

"She's really mean, and scary" Joshua said with a slight quiver in his voice.

"The meanest one's, have the sweetest love"

-

''Finally'' Veronica mumbled as the witch - Sophie -  approached.

''Oh! So glad you could make it'' Rebekah said sarcastically as Sophie walked towards the two vampires.

Not waiting for a response Rebekah continued, ''Elijah only lies when daggered and rotting whilst you dillydally'' Veronica pushed off the wall she had been previously leaning on, and moved closer to the witch and Rebekah.