TWENTY TWO

"He was so close" Elijah said into the phone whilst quickly turning back to make sure that Veronica was still behind him.

"When he heard the baby's heartbeat, I could see it in his eyes. He—he wanted it" Veronica finished Elijah's sentence stopping in front of him.

"He could almost taste the happiness" Elijah said, he and Veronica now stood toe-to-toe.

"And now his temper, has destroyed it" the Original's eyes drifted to the smudged lipstick on Veronica's bottom lip.

Without thinking, he smoothed out the maroon blotch. Veronica watched him though the dark veil of her eyelashes, Elijah's thumb stayed put for a moment longer than necessary. Making this a more than friendly gesture.

"Hello?" Rebekha's voice broke the two apart.

Veronica cleared her throat and stepped away from Elijah, she shivered at the sudden loss of his body heat.

Elijah watched her silently, using his free hand to shove the brown locks out of his face, he readjusted the phone by his ear and replied to Rebekah.

"So...We're almost out of time to get the girl"

"Get her?" Rebekah asked incredulously with a frown.

"Have you lost your mind? Are we running an orphanage now?"

"Say what you will about Niklaus, but on my life..." he briefly made eye contact with Veronica.

"We're not letting anything happen to that baby"

-

"You find him, and then you call me"

The Salvatore sister walked beside Elijah, the pair were on their way to give Marcel an ultimatum of sorts.

Veronica had yet to meet Marcel, but based off what she had learnt about him from Elijah, she doubted this conversation would be short.

"Don't worry, I know how to deal with Klaus"

Veronica hummed, Marcel's eyes widened.

His attraction towards her was instantaneous, she had that effect on everyone, it was merely physical and rarely reciprocated.

"Is that so?" Elijah asked, snapping Marcel out of his dream-like state.

"Do feel free to elaborate" Veronica said with a small smile, her eyes shone with their usual vindictiveness.

"Veronica Salvatore" Marcel savoured her name on his tongue

Elijah cleared his throat.

"And Elijah Mikaleson"

Marcel's lackeys stood, moving around him protectively.

"No, I got it. It's all good?" Marcel waved them off, it was Elijah and Veronica's invitation to join him.