Chapter 2

After a few farewells, the crowd dismissed. Little John was casually leaned up against the short stuccoed wall of the castle gardens, listening to the fountain gurgle and watching Robin weed the rosebushes that grew in the marble planters at his feet. "So, you aren't a bit worried about what just happened in there?"

"Aww, Vixen doesn't scare me. Like King Richard said, he's virtually powerless without-"

"No, no, no. With Harvey."

"I told you Johny, we are not thieves! Harvey doesn't scare me any more than Vixen does. And the only thing that scares me about Vixen is how he effects Marian."

"I'm kinda surprised King Richard ain't done somethin' about Harvey by now. Of course, Vixen we understand, but Harvey is completely within his power. I just don't understand."

Robin climbed down from the flower bed and meticulously wiped the dirt from his paws. "Which is exactly why we're doing no wrong by redistributing the people's wealth!"

The bear lowered his head. "Listen, Rob. I'm sorry for ever doubting our cause. You're right! What just happened should remind how important it is!"

Robin patted the bear on the shoulder, nearly having to stand on his toes. "Thank you, Johnny."

Little John nodded, but then decided he had better change the subject. "Y'know, Rob...the king has people that get paid to do that. I don't think weedin' roses is a very honorable first council member accomplishment."

"Oh yes, I know. I just didn't want to have to see any weeds."

"Mmm-hmm. Why else would ya' be weeding your girlfriend's roses?"

"Oh, hush it you!" Robin smiled back at him. Luckily the conversation was cut short by Otto the blacksmith. The old brown hound approached them with his paws behind his back.

"Hey Robin, I got something for ya."

"Oh, Otto, thank you, but you should really start letting me pay you for these th-"

The dog revealed a beautifully carven, cherry wood bow. Robin's jaw hit the floor. "Why...it's the second most beautiful thing I've ever seen! Of course, the first being...", he stopped himself with an obviously fake cough and took the bow a little too quickly from Otto. It was heavy, but in a good way. Something about it was just so pleasing to hold. It even had a design of some sort where his fingers went that made it easier to find the right position. He pulled back the string: it just felt so perfect! It was as if Otto knew more about him than he did himself. Everything about it was just heavenly! He could spend all day just looking at it and playing with the string. "Otto, how can I ever repay you for this? It's the most brilliant thing anyone has ever given me!"

The old dog reached into his red apron and pulled out an even redder apple. "You could start by letting me watch you try it out," he said as he bounced the apple in his paw and tossed it to Robin.

They walked to the opposite side of the fountain, where the flowery wall branched out into a rectangle that gave Robin enough distance to shoot. He placed the apple on the far end of the wall. He was so excited he pulled the string halfway back as he sprinted into his shooting position: left foot first, chin slightly up, and tail swaying on his left side. He exhaled a few times to calm himself, and, after he'd taken a minute to stop his eagerness to shoot the finest bow he'd ever held from messing with his shot, he let go of the string. The air hissed as the stone arrow head pierced it and hit the apple. He hit it perfectly in the center.

Of course, Robin, or anyone for that matter, wasn't surprised that he hit it dead on, but Robin was amazed in a way that he hadn't been since his first bullseye. "Wow. Beautiful!"