c h a p t e r 1 3

t h e   n e x t               day, Tom had to focus very hard to keep himself from smiling when he arrived at Potions with his followers

t h e   n e x t
              day, Tom had to focus very hard to keep himself from smiling when he arrived at Potions with his followers. Evelyn stood by the door waiting for him, her cigarette dangling between her lips surrounded by a familiar cloud of smoke. Her eyes focused intently on the group of boys approaching her.

The three boys behind Tom bounded up to her like eager puppies. Their tails wagging, their wide eyes bright. Malfoy, Avery, and Lestrange had no self-restraint, and if Tom hadn't been so relieved to return to their normal schedule again, he would have scolded them for it.

    Tom watched as the trio all but tackled Evelyn with hugs. She had to whip the cigarette above her head so as to not burn them in their excitement. She flicked it away, the thing vanishing into the air before she playfully pushed the boys off of her. Her smile was the realest one Tom had ever seen from her.

    He approached as casually as he could and his followers respectfully made room for him. Evelyn watched him approach with amusement, her smile never leaving her face.

    "I decided to stop punishing you all," Evelyn proclaimed. "You now may willingly bask in my presence at all hours of the day."

    Tom could see how Evelyn craved the attention of friends. Craved the fact that they had missed her in her absence. Although he had never felt he needed friends before, he had felt the same feeling toward Evelyn when she finally decided to talk to him again.

    "I'm glad you have finally decided to join us once again," Tom mocked, enjoying the way it made Evelyn's smile grow.

    "I honestly missed all of you drooling over me," Evelyn said as she pressed a hand against her blonde curls. "Did give me a bit too big of a head, I'm afraid."

    Avery gave her a loopy smile, "Nonsense your head is perfectly small."

    Tom immediately rolled his eyes, but Malfoy was the one who hit Avery on the back of his head.

    "We are all just glad you are feeling better," Malfoy said as he wrapped his arm around Evelyn's shoulder to begin guiding everyone into the classroom. "Maybe class will finally be entertaining again."

    Tom pressed his ring hard into his side as a burst of yellow lit up the stone. The warmth it created surprised him. This was the first time anything like happiness or any emotion other than that raging red anger had shown through at all. He tried to focus instead on the way Evelyn wrapped her arm around Malfoy's waist, her other hand coming to pat the boy's chest.

    "I do live to make you boys' day," Evelyn cooed.

    Tom's chest tightened at the way Evelyn held Malfoy but then released when she turned to look over his shoulder toward him. She threw him a flirty wink. Maybe she was simply just becoming close friends with all of his followers. He had the brief thought of if she had talked to any of them while she wasn't talking to him.