c h a p t e r 5

s o m e t h i n g   a b o u t                    the bold statement had bothered Tom

                    the bold statement had bothered Tom. At first, he assumed Evelyn was just being dramatic, but there was something in her tone that made him dismiss that quickly.

Evelyn, it seemed, always said things in partial truths. She never lied, yet she never told all the details. Tom mused over the idea of her purposefully playing up her words to make them more of a performance, more of a mystery. In the end, Tom didn't think she really cared enough about others' opinions to do that. She was simply just unknown. Perfectly mysterious in a way that benefitted her.

Tom spent the day avoiding her because of this growing need to know more about her. He was sure that if he had been near her she would know exactly what he was thinking. She would have said something witty and annoying about it.

He spent his day reading and dressing for the annual Slughorn Christmas Dinner. He tied his tie as slowly as he could, dreading having to spend the evening with the girl whom he had been thinking about all day.

When he finally couldn't dawdle any longer in fear of being late, he emerged from his dormitories and down the flight of stairs. Evelyn was waiting for him at the bottom. She was leaning back against the stone railing with a cigarette dangling between her long fingers.

He raked his eyes over her unwillingly. The black dress she wore was strapless and left her pale shoulders bare. It cinched at her waist, dropping down to just short of mid-shin. Her legs were covered in sheer tights.

When she caught sight of him, her blood-red lips curved into her prized, poisonous smile. Her dark lashes made her eyes almost glow as she raked them down his own body.

"You look very handsome, Mr. Riddle," Evelyn commented as she raised one hand to the curls that had been left down. "Too bad my hair has gone flat waiting for you."

Tom made sure she saw him roll his eyes. If there was one thing Tom knew for certain about Evelyn, it was that she never let herself look less than perfect.

"That Muggle invention is disgusting," Tom replied as he gave a pointed glance at the cigarette.

Evelyn rolled her own eyes in return before placing the cigarette between her lips. She took a long drag from it before blowing the smoke out into his direction.

"It's relaxing," she purred. She relented however and the cigarette quickly disappeared from in between her fingers. Tom descended the stairs fully and stopped in front of her.

It had been a mistake to not immediately walk away from her and out of the common room. She straightened before him and moved so that there was no distance between them. She placed a hand on his shoulder before slowly stepping around his body. Dragging her hand along the back of his neck as she examined his crisp black attire for the evening.