c h a p t e r 4

"s t a y   h e r e"                    Tom hissed as he stepped towards the Chamber's entrance

"s t a y   h e r e"
                   Tom hissed as he stepped towards the Chamber's entrance. He peered down into pure darkness. If he hadn't been researching the Chamber's existence, he would have half a mind not to believe there was anything down the dark hole. It seemed like it could have gone on forever.

"No. I found it so I get to see what is inside it." Evelyn stepped up next to him and Tom thought about pushing her. Then he would know how far down it went.

"You sound like a child," Tom sneered as he lit his wand and waved it over the inky darkness. It barely illuminated anything.

"An intelligent child that found what you have been looking for for months," Evelyn sassed as she leaned down to sit on the edge. Tom watched as she dangled her legs into the hole. She kicked them back and forth as if preparing herself to jump.

"You are the most arrogant woman I have ever met." Tom rolled his eyes before he sat down next to her.

Evelyn looked over at him and rolled her eyes dramatically.

"Well, which is it, Tom? Am I a child or a woman?" Evelyn gave him a devious smile and before he could answer she slipped off the edge of the tiles they were sitting on. Right into the nothing below them.

Her body plummeted until Tom could no longer see her. Tom thought it would be simple if she just died from the fall. He wouldn't have to deal with her anymore, but a small part of him was sure losing someone that powerful would not be as easy as this.

Tom heard her squeal and then a crash.

"Ouch! Who thought to put a bunch of bones at the end of a slide?" Evelyn's words echoed up to him. It was his turn to roll his eyes. She was an idiot.

"Tom, are you coming, darling? Or am I just supposed to wait in the dark forever?"

Tom was a bit disappointed she had survived and also that she had been the first to be brave enough to enter into the Chamber. He was sure that though he begrudgingly had accepted her help and presence here, he would have enjoyed being in the Chamber for the first time much more if he was alone. Unfortunately, for him, he wouldn't be getting that now and so with a sigh he jumped after her.

It wasn't the straight plummet he was expecting. Instead, he found himself sliding down a steep slope. This was the stupidest way to enter a secret chamber that held a deadly force. Salazar Slytherin was a bit less grand now that Tom knew he had built a slide to get down to his secret lair.
Tom couldn't see the bottom, but before he knew it he was knocking into a standing Evelyn and they both crunched over the bones. When they came to a stop Evelyn's poisonous smile was staring up at him.

"You've fallen for me, Tom Riddle" She purred as she pushed him off of her.

Tom had never not felt as if he had all the power in a room, but standing in the dark hallway, he felt different. Her breathy laugh bounced off of the walls as she stood and brushed off her skirt. She had blood dripping down her chin from where she must have scraped it on one of the bones under them when she had fallen, but she didn't seem to care. Her attention was entirely focused on the door with snakes marking it.
She stepped forward silently, her full lips parted in wonder.
Tom watched her approach the door. She ran her fingers gently over the roughness of the stone snakes. She looked back at him and he looked down, annoyed. He had no idea why he had been so interested in watching her.