c h a p t e r 8

t h e   n e x t         week was so utterly boring that Tom was almost ecstatic when it was time for his Knights of Walburgis meeting on Friday night

t h e n e x t
week was so utterly boring that Tom was almost ecstatic when it was time for his Knights of Walburgis meeting on Friday night. He wasn't daft enough to believe that Evelyn cared about it at all or would magically fall under an imperious curse and obey his every command. He did feel like this was, however, a good opportunity to show Evelyn that he was not another slobbering dog. He was the leader. His followers' Lord.

He approached Evelyn sitting on a couch in the back of the common room that she favored. It was in a secluded spot in the marble-polished room and hid her from any open observation. It was dark, only lit by the small window at the top of the space. The window was high enough that it was over the waters of the lake and reflected down the moon's light. Evelyn also had perfected a glowing lumos ball that floated by the side of the couch. It lit up the book in her hand. Her black cat, Morgana, lay next to her.

As Tom approached, she lowered the book so that her eyes followed his every movement. Morgana lifted her head to watch him as well, her ears flicking slightly before she began to purr. The little cat stretched, her nails nipping at the green velvet of the couch. She leaped onto the floor and wrapped herself around Tom's legs.

Tom leaned down to pet the cat when Evelyn's words stalled him.

"It seems even my cat wants us to be friends," Evelyn grinned.

Tom straightened back up immediately. "I'm not here to entertain your obsession with becoming friends with me. I'm here to walk with you to my meeting that you will be attending tonight."

Evelyn smirked and stretched just like her cat had done before standing up. She patted down her skirt until she seemed satisfied and walked closer to Tom.

"I'm a little embarrassed to say that I'm looking forward to your meeting," Evelyn said.

Tom tried to hide his pride, but he could tell Evelyn caught the way he puffed up his chest and tilted his chin up towards the ceiling.

"Don't go getting a big head now. I'm merely saying I'm excited to go because it's been a very long and boring week," Evelyn laughed. She pushed Tom's chin back down with the tip of her nail so that he was staring down at her. His sneer was fake and she knew it. Tom began to walk away, making it obvious that she should follow. Evelyn quickly caught up and linked her arm with his. He frowned down at their interlocked arms but didn't pull away. Secretly, he marveled at how light she felt against him.

"I must say that I am also mildly excited you will be attending my meeting," Tom confessed. Evelyn turned her head away from him, but he caught the genuine smile that made its way to her lips.

The rest of the walk was silent and before they walked into the room Tom quickly dropped Evelyn's arm from his. He always had his meetings in the classrooms that were long ago abandoned due mostly to the lack of students to fill them. They were never checked or cleaned and therefore it was easier to host meetings without getting caught or worrying about leaving a space exactly as they had found it.