c h a p t e r 2

t o m   b r u s h e d                      past his followers on his way out of the room

t o m b r u s h e d
past his followers on his way out of the room. Vexingly, they had been talking about Evelyn non-stop since she had left.

    "I've never seen you take notice of Evelyn before, My Lord," Avery commented, catching up with Tom as he walked towards the lake. He had a free period before lunch that he was intending to use to clear his head.

    "I have no memory of her before today," Tom replied. Though, he was finding that he did not want to talk about Evelyn Maeve anymore.

    Avery sighed, "How could you have not?" Tom cringed at the words.

    Then he tried to think more about it. The way she had manipulated the room– it seemed more like something Tom would have considered a threat. Or, at least, acknowledged that the talent would be useful to him– but he had not noticed her at all. For a girl who made it her mission to be the center of his followers' attention, how had he not even cared? He was not one to usually waste time thinking about pretty girls. Evelyn did not seem to be just that.

    Tom walked more determinedly towards the willow tree he favored near the lake. He had serious thinking to do.
When he made it to the hill that overlooked where he was going he stopped in his tracks, noticing his usual spot was occupied. He could just make out the girl who had taken his place. She sat undisturbed by the cold wind that wrapped itself around her and playfully lifted her hair. She was absorbed in whatever she was reading in the dark book she held. The same one he had picked up in the hallway.

It wasn't as if the spot was unavailable to others, but Tom had an overwhelming urge to yell about her being the one to be sitting there. She was not allowed to take his spot when she had already ruined his morning. Now there was no chance he was going to be able to relax like he had planned. He had to do something about this situation, if he didn't he feared he would never find peace again.

Tom marched down the hill towards her, intent on showing her that she was going to respect him. He heard his followers continue to chat behind him, but he ignored them– he knew they would follow him wherever he went. When he approached her. he snatched the worn book out of her hand.

"I do wonder what your mother would think about you reading such dark material." Tom sneered as he flipped through the pages of the leather-bound book nonchalantly.

The page she'd been reading detailed how to hex someone by using their nervous system.

Evelyn, unfortunately, did not give Tom the satisfaction of seeing her mad. She only leaned back against the tree and looked up at them. His followers stepped forward, creating a semi-circle behind Tom.

"She is quite proud that I have such a high intelligence that I can understand and process 'such dark material.' But it wasn't her who was interested in that particular area of my studies. My father... well, the rumors aren't always wrong about him." Evelyn replied coolly.