c h a p t e r 1

t o m   r i d d l e                played nice around others, but only when he was being watched

t o m r i d d l e
played nice around others, but only when he was being watched. And right now, everyone was watching.
Tom looked down slowly, expecting a first-year in a rush, or someone from another house that had yet to discover that he was not to be touched. He was unpleasantly surprised to find a Slytherin girl who looked to be his age in his arms. He was shocked to see the sharpness in her eyes. His hands instinctively wrapped tighter around her shoulders where he had caught her.

"I think a thank you, or at least an apology, is in order?" He said.

For a moment, the girl's expression made him feel as if he had been caught unaware in a trap. Then, before he could fully register it, pure malice swirled in her strange eyes.

"Let go of me and I will think about not hexing you."

Tom was taken aback by the girl's rudeness. Nobody had ever spoken to him in such a way. Most of the student body had learned to worship him— or, at the least, respect him.

Tom tried his hardest to keep his polite smile in place but dropped his grip on the girl immediately. She did not hide her sneer as she stood looking at him with a twisting sneer.

Tom ducked down to pick up the books the girl had dropped when she had run into him, but she swiped the worn leather-bound book out of his hand as soon as he had grabbed it. Tom regretted even trying to show his good acting skills.

"I do think you are being a little rash, it was you who bumped into me," Tom smirked at the girl's fierce stare.

"I hope you know that your politeness will not work on me, so drop the acting."

She picked up her bag and all of her books disappeared inside. Tom stood up slowly.

"Maybe you should check your attitude and apologize." Tom sneered.

The girl's stare never left him, but Tom took notice of the crowd that had gathered around them. He caught the mention of the name 'Evelyn'.

"Oh, I'm sorry golden boy, but last time I checked, my attitude was perfectly alright. I do not feel the need to apologize. So, now that this is all established, get out of my way."

He looked back at her and her eyes glinted with something akin to impatience. He tried to look closer at them, but it wasn't until she moved to go around him that he caught it– her eyes were a blazing amethyst, as cold as the stone itself.

Tom turned to watch the girl leave. Her thick blonde hair waved behind her in a tempting way that made him want to yank it back in anger. He had never been so carelessly disrespected in his life.

The only reason, Tom concluded, that he had not put her in her place was the promise that the girl, Evelyn, had held in her eyes. They screamed with deadly intent. She clearly understood the danger she had just put herself in and hadn't cared in the slightest.