c h a p t e r 7

a t   t h e             end of the first week back to classes, Tom received a letter at breakfast to report to Evelyn after dinner had ended later that day

a t   t h e
            end of the first week back to classes, Tom received a letter at breakfast to report to Evelyn after dinner had ended later that day. Evelyn, once again, had not attended the meal and therefore, was not there to see him receive the owl.

Tom thought she was rather full of herself if she thought that he would just drop everything and rush towards her like a loyal dog. That was not his role to play and never would be.

She didn't even know that he had received the letter in the first place, so she wouldn't know if he ignored it. Besides, as she very probably already knew, he had a meeting with his followers tonight to discuss the plan of attack on mudbloods. He was not going to miss his weekly meeting just because she decided she couldn't be bothered to meet another night.

Tom lit the letter on fire with a final roll of his eyes.

Evelyn didn't mention it during classes and Tom never brought it up. He was not going to acknowledge it, in hopes that she would think that he did not know about it. When he saw her in the common room that night on the way out for his prefect duties that disguised his meetings, he simply kept walking straight out the door.

***

Tom opened the classroom door at midnight to let his followers inside. He knew instantly that Evelyn watched from the dark hallways. There was something about her that made the hair on his neck stand on end, even though he was sure he wasn't afraid of her.

He closed the door anyway. He would stay his decided course. She would only show more control over him if he canceled his meeting for her.

Tom could not for the life of him start the meeting, however. He knew she stood just on the other side of the door. He thought she would grow bored and return to the common room, but she hadn't.

Finally, after the tug to open the door for her swam into his brain again, he stalked over and pulled open the door. She looked up at him in mock innocence. He pushed her back into the hallway and slammed the door between them and his followers.

He spun her in one clean motion back around so that her back was against the door.

"Eavesdropping is not a very attractive trait," Tom sneered as he stood over her, placing his hands on either side of her head to cage her in. Tom watched with rising anger as Evelyn's lips slowly turned upwards.

"Oh, but I would never," Evelyn cooed up at him. "I simply thought you might have been taking the extra step of securing us a private place to practice since you seemed to have missed me waiting for you in the common room."

"I did not know you were waiting for me," Tom spoke coolly.

Evelyn let out an exasperated sigh and leaned her head sideways onto Tom's raised arm. "I don't know if you are always such a bad liar, or if you are just a bad liar when it comes to me?"