Chapter 25: I just need some time

Florence's POV

I didn't want to move, i couldn't and wouldn't, if it was the last thing i would do. I couldn't face my parents yet, there was just nothing that i could really say. "Florence! Charlie! Tamsin! Family meeting at once." Mum shouted, and i groaned, oh no they were going to talk about the move. I looked over at Charlie and shrugged, we couldn't avoid this. "I'm scared." Charlie whispered. I nodded, placing a hand on his shoulder in comfort. I knew he liked it when i comforted him like that. So he always let me, but never would he let our parents or Tamsin. I didn't know why and he never admitted it to me either. "It's going to be alright. We have about 6 months to hopefully figure something out." I said quietly, wishing i could add i hope at the end, but wouldn't let him hear it. "Let's go before they start steaming!" I said, running a hand through his hair. He smiled and shoved me playfully away. I loved my 12 year old brother, he understood me really well and i understood him in the same way.

Walking side by side we made our way to the "royal" dining room. It was the fanciest room in our house and we held our family meetings, our dinners, our social events and anything else in that room. It was huge. Bigger than even my bedroom and the bathroom put together. A grand ebony wooden table sat elegantly in the middle of the room. White high backed chairs sat around the table. 10 in total. It was huge and i loved it. The table was usually set out with red candles and red place mats. All of us family members had our assigned seats. On the left wall there was a huge panned window and to the side there were 2 stained windows. One on each side. We also had photo's of us kids and some family photo's up on the right wall.  Right now the table just sat black and kind of lonely, but also powerfully where it always was. Mum was sitting in one of the seats on the left side, which normally wasn't her seat. Dad was pacing the length of the room. Up and down, up and down.

"It's ok, sit." Mum tried to sound gentle, but it came out strained, like she knew our reactions were going to be bad. I nudged Charlie softly in the side and walked to the seat opposite mum. She looked as good as usual, but there was something in her grey eyes that gave away to her stress, or something like it. Her dark blond hair sat in a bun today, but it was a shiny and perfect as it always was. Charlie sat next to me and we just gave each other a look. Waiting for someone to say something, or do something. "We're just waiting on Tamsin." Mum said, stating the obvious. But i just nodded. What else was there to say?

After waiting for another minute Tamsin walked in the door. "Sorry, i was just saving my work." She said and sat down on the left side of me. Dad turned to look at her and sat down on the right side of mum, opposite Charlie. Everyone was quiet for some time. But when someone finally spoke it was dad. "As you know we have made the decision to move to England at the end of the school year." Before dad could go on Charlie interrupted, normally he wouldn't do such a thing, usually it was me. "But why? Why are we going at all?" He asked the question all of us were thinking. I knew that it had to do with money and dad's job. "Charlie... It's because of my work, they are wanting to expand to England and later around Europe. They chose me as the manager, they told me i was the best man for the job. That i would be promoted and get a pay rise. Your mum and i have talked about this for a long time. I knew we always were intending to go to England, and it was going to be after  Florence graduates. But you see plans change. My boss has moved the date to a year before they originally thought they could do it. " Dad sighed. I sort of felt sorry for him. But it quickly disappeared and was replaced by anger. 

"NO WAY! We're moving because of the early job. This can't be happening. You can't do that to us. What about Tamsin, her studies. ME! Graduating next year, but that can't happen now. I don't want to make new friends. I want to stay here for that year, and then i'll come to England. You knew i always wanted to study in England." I rambled on, my anger getting the best of me. "Sweetie, we know. But you can't stay here with your friends. I know they are all very responsible and so are their parents. But we can't burden something huge like that on them." My mum's soothing voice took over the empty silence. My heart was racing, no, no this can't be happening. "But.... But.... We could pay them to let me stay, as cost for the water, food and everything else. I WANT TO GRADUATE WITH MY BEST FRIENDS!" My voice grew louder and angrier.