Chapter 32: Sweetest Goodbye

Brad's POV

I stood beside Blaise, looking around, wondering where Juliet had gotten too. She was late, and she was hardly ever late. But Blaise didn't seem worried, probably because he was whispering things in Viola's ear. Not that I wanted to know what he was saying to her. Everyone was gathered in one of the theatre rooms for the leavings party. But I just wasn't feeling it, I had this bad feeling in my gut that I couldn't describe. All around me everyone was talking and laughing and mingling. I just couldn't concentrate on anything. Even Seth seemed to be having a good time.

I walked around and Adrian stopped me as I went to sit down. "Hey, are you ok? It looks like you've seen a ghost." He said, sitting down beside me with a papercup in his hand. "Oh, huh, what? Nothing. It's nothing." I said quickly, looking down at my feet. "It is. Do you feel sick?" He asked politely. I took a deep breath, maybe I could explain it to him. "I don't know. There's this weird feeling in my gut, like something is very wrong. And it seems like it has to do with Juliet." I said, he must think I'm crazy though. It sounded crazy to my own ears.

"Oh. Call her then?" He suggested, his eyes wide. Did he believe that I was telling the truth? Not that it really mattered that much. I just needed her to be ok. I grabbed my phone and was about to dial her number when the doors opened and there she was. I sighed in relief and ran over to her, but slowed down when I saw her limping slightly, she seemed upset. And I could see a slight bruise under her eyes, trying to be covered up with make up. 

My heart sank. What had happened? I quickly ran over, my jaw having dropped. "Juliet? Oh god, are you ok?" I asked her seriously. She avoided my gaze and nodded, walking around me and towards Blaise. I turned, following her with my gaze. Her posture was all wrong, she really was upset, she was caving in on herself. Poor her. What could have happened to her that she was limping and had a bruise? I had to find out. I rushed after her and stood in front of her, I held my fingers under her chin and slowly lifted them so that she could look at me. "Brad. Please. Not now." She whispered, tears in her eyes. I froze. The bruise was bigger than I thought, almost half of the left side of her face was bruising. Though her make up hid most of it.

"Please. What happened to you?" I asked, leaning closer to her, lightly cupping her jaws in my hands. "N-" She swallowed. "Nothing." She whispered sadly. This was the worst I'd ever seen her. Why couldn't she tell me? "Please. I can help." I whispered. She just shook her head sadly, staring into my eyes. She stepped forward and rested her cheek against my chest. I draped my arms around her, sheltering her against me. I could feel her crying and soothed her, stroking her hair gently. Poor Juliet. I hated seeing her this way, it tugged on my heart. What could've done this to her?

We stood like that for some time, everybody was looking at us with concern. Except Josh. But he didn't care about anyone but himself. Nobody dared to say anything, or come closer. "Juliet, sweetie. Talk to me." I said softly once she'd stopped crying. She pulled away, her hand landing on my cheek. "Later." She said. Her eyes scanned my face and she smiled softly, wiping away a stray tear. "This isn't about me. It's Esmee and Florence's evening." She told me, taking my hand in hers, tangling our fingers together. It felt good, and I think she needed the comfort and safety. And that was ok with me.

Everyone went back to what they were doing quickly and Juliet tugged me to go talk to Renee and Kaleb. But I hardly listened to them, more worried about Juliet. I caught Seth glancing at us and when I looked over, he gave me a sad smile and nodded his head, saying that he was ok with us. I gave a small smile and nod back. Well ok then. If I were him, i'd be outraged. But everyone acted differently I guess. I felt a kiss on my cheek and jumped slightly, looking down at Juliet. She smiled. "Hey, you zoned out." She said softly. I shook my head. "Oh, sorry! Were you talking to me?" I asked.