Chapter 28: Talent

Juliet's POV

"Remember what i told you. Breathe, relax and look at me if you have to." Brad told me, holding my hands in his. Months had passed since Max beat him up and now it was the talent show night. I looked into his big green eyes and nodded. Something about him was different, ever since Max had declared war on him. He was sadder, more distant to everyone except me. But i couldn't  place exactly what it was. And that bugged me. Sometimes he wouldn't talk to anyone, and just be there. He concerned me, all the time, but there wasn't anything i could do. He was Brad, and he kept his feelings in check.

Now i was just nervous; What if everyone hated us and thought we sucked? "Please. I can't do this." I said, turning to go. Brad held me in place with his hands, which had now found its way to my waist. "No, Juliet, you can't back down now! Look how far you've come." He said seriously. I couldn't do it. I tugged against him, but he was much stronger than I was, so i couldn't go anywhere. "Everyone's going to hate me! And Max is here with his groupies. I just can't do it!" I said, starting to feel angry at him. This was My decision, not his. "Please! Do your mom proud. Do your dad proud. Do Blaise's mom proud. Do yourself proud. Do this for me." HE said sincerely. I was starting to crack. Why did Brad have such an effect on me? I turned back around and looking into his eyes. "Ok for my family. But i'm not doing it for you." I told him seriously. I'd do this for Seth though. 

He cracked a small smile. "of course. You'd never do anything for me." He said softly. "JULIET! YOu're up!" Trevor called, rolling his eyes like he always does. Trevor was the backstage person and he's grown accustomed to Blaise and I, and secretly he likes us, wanting us to win. Since he was a loser too. According to the Jocks. Trevor was just a very organised and smart kid. But did like to talk back to anyone who annoyed him. "Ok, ok. I'm coming." I said. Brad kissed the top of my head and i walked to the stage door. Blaise was entering through the other door on the opposite side of the stage. I heard the urgent whispers of Trevor talking to Brad. "Why aren't you two together?" He whispered. Brad paused and the doors opened for me. "Because she has someone else. I'm not good enough..." He said back just as i stepped onto the stage. And i didn't get to hear the rest of the conversation.

The auditorium was filled to the brim with people. So, so many people! My heart pounded fast and loud, butterflies tried to break free and my hands shook so badly. It was quiet. Too quiet. I glanced at Blaise and he smiled encouragingly at me. We stepped into the middle of the stage and i stood in front of the microphone. I spotted Josh and Florence. Then my friends. Then Seth and Ben. My family. Blaise's family. And lastly, Brad. I suddenly felt calmer. He gave me strength. "Hi. I'm Juliet and this is Blaise. I... We're performing a song, In memory of both our mothers, who left us too early. We love you." I said, my voice not even shaking. And then Blaise started to play. Brad smiled happily, giving me the thumbs up. And i could've sworn he mouth, 'I love you.' But he couldn't have said it. It had to be, 'I'm proud of you.'

When i started to sing, all my troubles went away and i felt alive. It was incredible. I just looked between Brad and Seth and sang my heart out. Time flew. It felt like it only took 2 seconds. But it was so much longer. Once we were done everyone erupted into applause and i just smiled. I was amazed people could actually think i was good! I couldn't thank Brad enough. I glanced at him and he was almost crying. 'Well done.' He mouthed. And my heart flipped.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hours later i was back on stage with all the other contestants. 20 groups in all. I was nervous again and gripped Blaise's hand tightly, never wanting to let go. "Third place and $100 goes to...." The host, Mr. Meyer started saying. "Emily!" Everyone clapped and I bit my lip. I wanted to know! I was going to burst from all the nerves. "Second place and $250 goes to..." Mr. Meyer said, taking his precious time. "Juliet and Blaise! Your mother's would be proud." HE said. My heart fell. OH MY GOD! Blaise smiled, kissing my cheek. "WE did it! Juliet!" HE said loudly. I took the trophy and the money  from Mr. Meyer, a huge grin spread across my face. I never would've believed it if Brad hadn't gotten up on stage after the ceremony was over, and pick me up, hugging and spinning me around.