Chapter 14: Life line

Juliet's POV

Everyday for the past week i've gone to visit mum in the hospital. She isn't doing any better, and i'm oh so worried. I went on with everything, school, seeing my friends, keeping in contact with Seth. But constantly i'd be thinking about what mum was doing, how she was feeling, how everything has changed now. I always had a sad feeling wherever i went. But i felt a little more happier knowing i would see my mum.

Life at school was different, Kaleb and Renee were a couple, which was so good. Brad was talking to me in English, for the project and sometimes looked for us during lunch when he knew the others weren't following him. In the hallways, he'd give me a look no one knew, except me, him and our group. Our secret friendship was going well, i'd talk to him everyday, over the phone, or on Skype. He'd text me, telling me about random things that weren't even important. But i was glad for a friendship like his. He made me happy, made me feel special. Even told me sometimes.

I sighed deeply, i was sitting here. In hospital, on a Saturday. Looking around, there wasn't much too see, apart from the blank walls, the metallic instruments and devices used by the doctors. All of this was imprinted in my memory. It was familiar. For reasons i wasn't sure of. I mean i had spent a few days here. I woke up here one day, aged 11. I didn't know who i really was. I knew i was 11, i knew i was Juliet Jones, i knew my best friend was Blaise, but couldn't really remember what he looked like. I recognised my mother, my father. But my memory was just a blank hole in my mind. I still remembered how to speak, still knew how to count to ten. Knew how to laugh, draw, write, eat. Everything that was important. But i couldn't remember much of my past, 11 years were such a blur, i could only remember a few names, faces and memories. No, actually there weren't any memories of my past.

This past week, i've grown used to the hospital all over again, but this time i wasn't the one in it. I wasn't the one being treated, and i wasn't the one who lay in bed. At the moment mum was sleeping, she looked peaceful, but had a sour face. She must've been dreaming about something, maybe the crash, maybe just something else. But i couldn't begin to imagine what it must've felt like, been like. Spencer was with dad, getting us breakfast from the cafe there, the food wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. We had come here early, 6.30 we got here. Hayley was asleep on a chair, and i walked over to her and placed a blanket over her. Stroking her hair gently. She stirred in her sleep but didn't wake up.

I also couldn't imagine what it would be like for an 10 year old to have a mother in hospital, where her 2 older siblings were pretty devastated, seeing your older brother crying most of the time. Your father looking more and more sickly. Always worrying about your mother, what would happen if you lost her? Her school days were easier than mine. She didn't know about the bullies, not yet anyway. But she was a popular kid, even for a 10 year old, and i knew that she would have plenty of friends in high school. She also didn't have to worry about the school work. I only had this year, and next year to go before i went off to Uni, before i graduated. And it was a scary thought.

My mind eventually drifted off to think about Seth. He said he'd come visit me today, not sure when. But he was doing much better without Marcy i guess. He was still upset, but he seemed to be more at peace with himself. Both of us have had a rough time this past week. And i looked forward to seeing him again. He made me smile, and i made him smile. I was so glad to have met him on camp. My mission was complete, to meet someone new. I had looked over the video's i had made on camp, or that the other's did. But they turned out brilliantly. I sent a copy to Seth, and he smiled -He sent me a picture of himself- It had a video of us two dancing together, and we looked to happy to be together, like we'd known each other for years. But the truth was we had only met the night before.

Dad came back with Spencer, and our food. I didn't feel so hungry but i knew i had to eat. So i put on some soft music, drifted into a trance as i ate, listened to the sweet melody and had small talk with my family. It was like a sort of family meeting, but a sad meeting.