Chapter 45

'Give me one reason why I shouldn't kill you where you stand

'Give me one reason why I shouldn't kill you where you stand.'

Hanz's voice sparks something within me that wishes to retaliate violently instead of peacefully.

Slowly, I spin around with my hands up, gritting my teeth as I try to keep my gaze level. He's holding his hand out to me, a blue orb dancing at his fingertips. He looks so much like Cressa-la. Deep blue eyes, auburn hair. But he's no match for me.

'Because I'm here with your sister.'

Hanz's face twitches only for a second. 'I have no sister.'

'Cressa-la. The daughter of your dead mother.'

Hanz refuses to back down, disbelieving my every word. If he knew who I had been previously, I woulnd't blame him.

'How did you come across that name?'

'Cressa-la is the Tribe Leader of the Initi Tribe, and I was raised in Revli. I am the youngest brother of Newt. The son of Carn.'

Hanz's eyes flash with hatred and worry, and his hand drops an inch, the blue radiating from it simmering down. Carn was my father, killed by my youngest older brother. Carn was an evil man, a trait somehow passed down to me. He was the ruler of the Unwea Clan, a secret society created by the cast-out One-Hundreds and Ones. Most of the royals know about it... but they attempt to keep it secret from the public.

Hanz's grimace deepens. 'Any proof?'

With a small groan, I exhale and let my glow show.

'This is hte only proof I have: my father's glow.'

Hanz stares at me, sizing me up. When I'd fought alongside Cressa-la for her father's affections, it was ultimately Hanz who had injured me and knocked me out of the sick and twisted game. I never saw his blade coming.

'Where is she? If you're telling the truth, then were is the girl you called Cressa-la?'

'Not sure,' I admit, exhausted. Growing grumpier by the minute, I remind myself that I really, really need a nap. 'Either inside or trying to get in.'

There's the sound of something exploding.

With a grimace, I lower my hands. 'Found her.'

~

I lead Hanz to where the sounds are coming from, cyan light radiating from one of the hallways. Incomprehensible shouting fills my ears and I grit my teeth, continuing to press forward.

You were supposed to tell me when you got here.

No response.

Finally, the hall opens up to a large ballroom, a pillar crashing to the ground as Cressa-la stands in the archway on the other side of the room, just outside a junk closet. An orb flings from her fingers as I rush forward, taking note that Hanz has frozen in the doorway.

'Cressa-la,' I shout, drawing her attention to me. With a determined look on her face, she quickly turns her attention back to the three guards trying ot apprehend her. I can see her mother on the ground in the closet, still unconscious.

'Stop.'

Hanz's voice fills the room as the guards turn to face him.

'And intruder, sir,' the man on the right reports. 'What would you like us to do with her?'

'I'll take care of it, Benvol.'

'But sir—'

'Did I stutter?' Hanz asks, thrilling a throwing knife around his index finger. The three men hesitantly leave the three of us alone as Cressa-la stares at her brother, still looking like she's ready for a fight. I, on the other hand, duck into the closet.

'What is your name?' Hanz asks quickly as I gently scoop their mother up.

'Cressa-la.'

'And this,' I call from the doorway of the closet as the woman I hold grunts, her eyes struggling to open as she fails to regain consciousness. 'Is your mother.'

Hanz pales and loses his ability to tread water. Slowly, he drifts downward, taking in the scene before him.

'M... mother?' He asks gently, coming forward. 'But she's...'

'Where is King Kaerious?' I ask, not in the mood for all these sentimentalities.

Hanz barely blinks, unable to rip his eyes from the woman in my arms. 'In... in his study.'

'Take us to him.'