Chapter 9

I stop just outside the cave, gathering my thoughts

I stop just outside the cave, gathering my thoughts. I'm honestly terrified. The old me would be excited, ready to please Morgiana like I was her puppy. But now... with the knowledge I have about her...

I sigh, cursing myself. I forgot how hard this would be. Forgot about the big bad that controlled me and the thrall she had over me... which I can't feel now.

Did my consciousness force it out when I transferred to this timeline?

Not really dwelling on it for long, I reach forward to move the bush hiding the entrance away, when I hear the snap of a twig behind me. I spin around, automatically assuming someone is watching me. Chalking it up to be an animal, I turn back around and move teh bush again. I feel like I'm staring into the darkness for a good while before I finally take a step forward.

"What's this?"

I jump out of my skin, falling to my butt and cursing out loud.

I look up to see a figure standing in the bright sunlight, peering into the cave. It takes me a moment to say anything, and even then, I wait until I've scrambled up and pulled her away from the opening.

"Cressa-la?" I whisper loudly. "What are you doing here? Did you follow me?"

She shrugs. "You looked suspicious," she says, her hand placed on her dagger in case she needs to protect herself. "I was curious."

I groan quietly and pull her further from the cave. "You can't follow me in there," I say quietly. Cressa-la was always naturally curious, but she didn't really act upon those curiosities unless they really bugged her. Me being in her territory and not even looking like I was hunting something must have really seemed suspicious to her to follow me here.

"Why?" She asks, scrunching her nose and taking a step back, putting a little bit of distance between us. For some reason, it brings up the memories of the moments we were physically the closest, when I nearly kissed her beneath the eclipse, when I saved her from dying from hypothermia, when I caught her while she was sick, dying from the powers eating away at her body... and it suddenly makes me want to hold onto her and never let her go. But that's not what I need to do. If ever that day comes in this timeline... I'll enjoy it then. If it never comes... I'll...

I swallow the knot in my throat and clear it, coming back to reality. "I can't tell you."

Her eyes narrow. I'm reminded of how dangerous she can be, but I'm also reminded she hasn't unlocked her powers just yet. In the other timeline, it wasn't until three years later when she turns sixteen that she comes across a dolphin—Amawa-na in morph—and saves it.

But she can probably fight in close-quarter combat, knowing full well that I'm a part of Revli and we don't train to fight. So she knows she'd have the upper hand.

And even with my knowledge from the other timeline, she still would have the upper-hand. Why? Because my body is disproportionate to what it was in the other one. I'm smaller and less muscular.