Chapter 27

I just realized Morgiana never answered me about sharing her powers

I just realized Morgiana never answered me about sharing her powers. Either way, it's too late now. I'm already outside the forcefield hiding her little house. Instead, I take a deep breath and feel my body begin to shift, gray fur rushing over my skin as I fall to my feet, the sounds of bells chiming gently through the air as I complete the transformation from human to wolf. The entity was right. I no longer have to change by using spells.

I rush through the forest, each tree where it should be, my memory of the island flawless. I daintily leap over traps set by Wurn, hearing other wolves moving around in the distance. My instincts—the wolf's instincts wants me to be around the pack, but I am an alpha male. The head of the pack wouldn't like me very much.

So I make my way to the entrance of the cave, no one there, but I could smell humans. I could easily move through this island undetected by the people who know me, but the human intelligence reflecting in my eyes could give me away. Tamir, Amawa-na, and Cressa-la wouldn't know about transforming, though... but I did mention it to Amawa-na when explaining things.

So they would, in fact, know. Or at least be aware of my ability to do it.

I look at the lines separating the three tribes, debating on where to go. I need to make an appearance, let them know I'm fine and then disappear for a good while while I build my strength for whatever I decide.

Because I don't think I've truly decided to give back in to the darkness, but I'm not sure if I can completely let it go.

Then, the earth shakes.

I nearly topple over as a loose branch comes down and lands directly before me, forcing me to take a step back. At my paws, an array of colors flash brightly, a strange disturbance rushing through the air and shaking the leaves, a gust of wind nearly knocking me off my feet once more. The colors slowly shift as the wind dies down, the ground still rumbling. They change to a brilliant blue—a cyan. Then, suddenly, plumes of green explode upward, orange and purple rushing over the trunks of trees and taking over their original colors.

Every color turns a brilliant white, and it covers me, filling every shadow as I feel it like the warmth of a spring sun upon the green grass. It soaks into my skin as my body shifts back to normal, against my will. I float into the air as the white dissipates, and I land on my feet, left glancing around. The ground ceases shaking.

MY LAST GIFT, DAMIAN-SAI.

"That was you?" I ask breathlessly, feeling disheveled.

THE PEOPLE YOU ONCE KNEW HAVE RETURNED TO YOU, BUT THEY SHAN'T REMEMBER THE LIVES THEY ONCE LIVED.

Rickety, I plant my feet on the ground, attempting to process what the entity had told me.

"What... does that mean to me?"

THE BONDS AND TIES YOU'D FORGED WITH THE PEOPLE YOU HOLD DEAREST HAVE BEEN RESTORED. EACH PERSON'S CONSCIOUSNESS HAS TRANSFERRED TO THIS BODY, A CONSEQUENCE OF THE DESTRUCTION OF THEIR PREVIOUS TIMELINE. WHAT LITTLE POWER EXISTED IN THE OTHER FIVE HAS BEEN ADDED TO THEIR CURRENT POWER LEVELS.