Chapter 6

This is my decision?

I stop my feet, Tamir almost over the edge.

SHOW ME HOW MUCH YOU'VE CHANGED, DAMIAN-SAI.

At this point, I'd already been recruited and brainwashed by Morgiana. I'd been trained to hide my emotions and my true intentions. I'd just recently learned to control my powers and my conscience was nearly nonexistent. Anger constantly flared up within me and spread like a wildfire. I was a mess of emotion and hormones, and I couldn't tell myself from the monster Morgiana helped me create.

"Dam...ian...sai..."

Tamir is choking. He claws at my hand, but I can't let go. So much emotion, so much rage is inside of me. A tornado is forming from the ice and the fire.

SHOW ME YOU DESERVE REDEMPTION.

And just like that, I let go. Tamir lands on his feet, rocks his feet dislodge from their place on the ground falling to the rocky water below. He coughs and sputters and moves away from the edge. I watch him, paralyzed.

We'd been fighting over Amawa-na. I'd made them fight. I'd asked her to marry me and I lied to Tamir, saying she said yes to me when she never even answered.

Because she loved him.

She's always been fond of me, I knew that, but it was always because I was a jerk, and I knew that too. She liked the thought of changing me. Always has. I didn't know that then, back when this all happened the first time, but now... now I know.

Morgiana had manipulated me into attacking Tamir persuading me to take Amawa-na as my own, for whatever reason. Maybe she was the only person she could use against me. After that, when Amaya-na began following me around and messing things up, Morgiana really expressed she didn't like Amawa-na at all.

"Are you insane?" Tamir asks with a strained voice. He glares up at me. "What else do you plan on doing to me, Damian-sai? We're you going to throw me off the cliff?"

Tears line his eyes as he stands, holding his bruised throat.

"What is wrong with you?"

I stand, breathing heavily as I stare at him, afraid of myself. I'm... how old was I here? Tamir and Amawa-na are a year younger than me...

Amawa-na.

She's alive.

I take a step back, looking toward the trees.

She's alive!

"Where are you going?" I hear Tamir calling after me, but I've already cleared the trees. I know where she is. Exactly where she is.

Tamir's house.

Nostalgia fills me as I enter into my own tribe. Before the mess I created. Before Cressa-la stole my attention. Before Tamir began living beneath the earth.